Chapter 8

(Talia's POV)

If I wasn't so intent on keeping this job, that would no doubt lead me to a better lifestyle, I would definitely be considering murder as an option for dealing with Luka.

He was infuriating to say the least.

A steaming pile of asshole smothered in insults and searing hatred at the most.

The highlight of my day had, strangely enough, been chatting with Romeo. Why did it seem I was comfortable talking with him? It was friendly banter wrapped in constant dangerous possibilities. He was giving me the chance to see where he supposedly grew up as a way to kick-start me getting to know him. Strange as it was, I found my curiosity constantly nagging me to take control of the black van I had been crammed inside for 9 hours solid and drive it to wherever the address led and see for myself what was there.

My thoughts must be product of lack of sleep, to much coffee or being stuck with Luka for so long. I was in desperate need to get away from him. How could some people live with themselves when they're so frustratingly annoying?

Apparently Luka could.

"So Ms. Brainiac, have you found our hackers yet?" Luka asked for the hundredth time. Luka was, unfortunately, one of those guys who constantly poked and prodding at people they disliked regardless of any warnings given. How I wish he was one of those guys who would ignore people he didn't like, at least then I'd have peace and quiet to work in.

Ah, and I had apparently inherited the nickname 'Ms. Brainiac' as well. Not that I minded the nickname, after all Brainiac was the super intelligent villain from Superman. Maybe Luka hadn't realized that it wasn't exactly an insult but a compliment? Of course, I wasn't going to let him know that I enjoyed the nickname instead of finding it offensive. Then he'd just find another name that was more annoying, or, god forbid, actually insulting.

"I get a pet name? I didn't know you had so much affection for me Luka. I need to warn you, I don't feel the same way about you. So try not to let your emotions out and accidentally kiss me because that would just be awkward."

Luka snorted and let out a low growl, something I had quickly realized after just spending a short time around him, was a thing he did. If things were different in the world, like his personality, I would find it sexy. "Just find the stupid hackers so we never have to see each other again."

"It's not like I'm enjoying your presence either, Mr. Happy Pants. I have to wait for them to attempt a hack-in again before I can track them," I paused, stretching. "Use those eye muscles for once and keep an eye on things. I'm going to catch up on some sleep, unless staring at the monitor is to hard for you."

"Sleeping on the job. Why am I not surprised?" Luka scowled, his fists clenching.

"Maybe because the only emotion you have is anger? Making it impossible for you to feel any other emotion." I smirked and sat down in the passenger seat, leaning the seat back and trying to get comfortable.

"No, that's just my hatred for you squishing my other emotions into the dirt. Every time you open your mouth it's like a hell storm of shit shooting from your mouth."

"If you're getting tired of getting your ears stuffed with my shit, then maybe you should quit. Leave. Give up," I smirked and lay my head on my arm. "I'm more then capable of handling this without you."

"Nice try Ms. Brainiac. It's not going to be that easy to get rid of me."

"I thought you couldn't wait to get away from me."

"Shut up. I thought you were going to sleep?"

"Aww, couldn't think of anything smart to say back? It must be all those muscles squeezing your brain. Don't worry, I'll do the thinking for you, I just need my rest because thinking for the two of us along with trying to find a hacker isn't the easiest thing to do. So why don't you shut your hole and I'll shut my eyes and we'll both have peace for a bit? Ok? Good. Good night."