Chapter 5

(Talia's POV)

Ah. My. God.

There, standing in front of me, was a guy I thought I'd never see again, yet here he was, standing right in front of me with a shocking smile.

No, make that a shocked smile.

And he's standing right beside my best friend as her new boyfriend.

"Tal, I'd like you to meet Koteo."

Koteo huh? An original name for a hot piece of man. Stop it! He's with your best friend now, making him off limits.

"Yeah, we've met," Koteo said.

"Ah, really?" Kim turned to me in shock, her expression asking.

"Yeah, we met on the bus yesterday," I explained while Koteo stared down at me with those eyes of his. "It's nice to finally know your name," I added so Kim would stop staring at me as if I had broken some unspoken best friend rule. Though the way he had been flirting with me on the bus had made me think that he was single. Had I misread his flirting?

Kim glanced between the two of us, her eyes narrowed as she watched, then she shrugged. I knew she'd want more info later though. "I met Koteo a couple times at my father's party, but last night we just clicked. Right honey?"

"Right," Koteo said, his eyes finally dragging themselves from my face and to Kim's, his smile softening. Kim ran her hand across his chest and he smirked.

I stood awkwardly for a few moments before breaking the gooey silence spreading between Koteo and Kim. "So you're a processor at NYU?"

Koteo looked back at me, straightening slightly and running a hand through his hair. "Yes, I'm an English professor there."

"Awesome," I say, nodding my head. Could this be any more awkward? Third wheel much?

"Oh I love this song, dance with me Koteo!" Kim exclaimed, grabbing his hand and dragging him to the dance floor, the music beating loudly. He glanced back at me, sending me an apologetic smile before they disappeared in the crowd.

Usually at parties I'm Kim's wingwoman, but now she had her guy, leaving me to do what? Nothing. Except to stand in the middle of a packed club alone.

I leaned against the wall and checked my phone, blowing out a long breath. No messages from Romeo, no surprise there.

"Talia?"

I smiled and turned towards the voice then froze, the smile melting off my face. "Brad."

"It is you! It's good to see you again. I'm sorry about before. I'm not sure what was going through my head before. Of course you're not going to marry me after two dates," Brad says, smacking himself on the forehead with the palm of his hand, then leaned further towards me, resting his arm against the wall behind me. "Listen, we'll do it your way and take it slow. So how does Saturday night sound?"

I stood there in shock for a minute staring at him, wondering where the hell he'd even came from. To anyone else it sounded like he was sorry for what he'd done and was asking for another shot. I knew better.

As he had spoke his real meanings had ran through my mind.

He was sorry I didn't say yes.

He didn't know how his plan went wrong.

He's trying to pretend to sympathize with me.

He's being an ass.

And being pushy.