Chapter 31

(Romeo POV)

I lay on the couch, staring up at the ceiling. Talia had went into her room over an hour ago, yet I couldn't go to sleep. It wasn't the couch underneath me keeping me from sleep, it was much more comfortable than anything I had ever slept on. My couch was well worn, the sponge inside barely counting as sponge at this point and my mattress had seen better days maybe twenty years ago.

It was today that was keeping me from sleep. Today had been the best day of my life. It felt unrealistic, like I was in a daydream and would wake up any time. Even though the morning had started out with a fight with her ex, it had soon been followed by something I thought I would never have the chance to experience, especially with someone I love. A kiss. Then going out to dinner with her at the restaurant. It had made me feel human, almost normal to be sitting with someone like her. There had been another man across the restaurant, eyeing us. I could tell he had been wondering what a beautiful girl like her had been doing with a man like me, his eyes narrowing in disgust. Like he found it distasteful to even see the likes of me with someone like Talia. The waitress had been courteous, even though I could see the burning curiosity in her eyes and the sidelong glances she threw our way. Finally I had gotten lost in Talia's orbs, I was drawn to them like a honeybee to a flower.

The only hiccup had been her buying me a phone. I had no idea how I would ever repay her, not just for the phone, but also for her unyielding kindness. I had nothing but myself repay her with and I've never been very savvy at making money.

I shifted restlessly. I wonder if she was sound asleep in her bed, her silky hair spread like waves around her as she dreams things unimaginable to me. All my dreams had only ever been nightmares and false hopes. Even my self conscious couldn't think of anything good to play in my mind of the night.

Most of all, I didn't want this day to end. It had been incredible and new and like a young boy with a new computer, I was enjoying it too much to sleep. Finally, I threw off the covers and stood, making my way to the kitchen and turning on the light. The dirty dishes from dinner sat on the counter, so I washed and dried them as quietly as possible, not wanting to wake Talia. I went through her cabinets until I found where the dishes belonged, then put them away. Still, I paced, too full of energy. It wasn't just my mind that was hyped up, but my body as well. It had been a long day, but I had also ate a lot of calories and my body had no idea what to do with it all. I felt like I could go for a run and not risk dizziness.

Moving to the far end of the apartment, as far away from Talia's room as possible, I started working out. It was something that I had never had the energy to do, though I knew it was something that the majority of the male population did. I didn't have nearly the muscle mass as other men, but that was from starving all the time. What I did have, I used on a daily bases though. I couldn't remember the last time I had had extra energy like this, but after only a short time of exercising, I was exhausted. I wasn't as strong as I wished I was. I wanted to be everything that Talia dreams of, physically and mentally.

I lay sprawled out on the floor, trying to catch my breath, when I heard it. There was movement in Talia's room. She had said something about waking me up every few hours to make sure I was okay. It wasn't necessary. I had lived through injuries worse than what I had now, with no one to watch over me to make sure I was okay.

I darted up and flipped the kitchen light off, then crawled onto the couch, tossing the cover back over me. I was panting heavily, but at least it would look like I had been sleeping. Why was I worried about Talia finding me awake so late? Wasn't it normal for guys to burn off energy at night?

I could sense her walking around the couch, even though I couldn't see her, I knew she was there. I felt her hand brush across my arm as she started to wake me up. I couldn't make any noise to acknowledge her, so I lifted my hand to cover hers.