Disappointment

((a/n: so, after crying over my first part in my one shots, I'm coming here to cheer up. Don't forget to check out the one shot book, but be warned: you will probably cry.))

(a/n #2: yeah, I know some of the slang in this book (especially in this chapter) isn't right for the time period, but yeah, idk the slang from back then!)

Angelica POV:

I stood in front of my ornate vanity, fixing my hair. I finally decided on an updo, but my stupid curls did not want to cooperate. The disobedient little wisps kept flying off to the sides. John Laurens is probably the least judgemental person I know (aside from my sisters), yet I still felt that it had to be perfect. I had gone to a sort of protest earlier, so my hair took a long time to do.

Finally, I got it to a satisfactory style. And just in time too! I heard a knock at the door. He's here! I thought excitedly. He was a bit early, but there's nothing wrong with that!

"Oh, hey Alex! Eliza's not home right now." I heard Peggy say in a surprised tone. Alex? He said something, then Peggy called my name. "Angelica! Alex wants to talk to you!"

Why does he want to talk to me? As I walked downstairs, I realized with a jolt---this is the first time I've talked to Alex without Eliza since...since the ball. Well this should be fun.

"Hey, Angie!" He hugged me.

"Hey Alex," I replied. "Why are you here?" Alex pressed his hand to his chest and pretended to be offended.

"Ouch!" He pretended to wipe a tear from his eye. "That hurts, Angie! Can't I just come to hang out once in a while?"

"Alex," I laughed. "Of course, but Pegs said you wanted to talk to me. That means you're not here just to 'hang out.'" I made air quotes with my fingers.

"Alright, fine, you caught me." Alex grinned. "Laurens sent me."

John sent Alex?? On the night we were supposed to go out??

"W-what d'you mean?"

"Ooh!" he said. "Who got the Master of Sass herself to stutter?" He pointed at himself. "This guy!"

"Alright, Ego Man. Um...why exactly did John--erm, I mean Laurens send you?" I tried to hide my blush, but I knew I couldn't hide it. Especially from Alex.

"Oh...well, Angie, he wanted me to tell you that he can't come tonight." Now Alex's steady grin seemed to falter, and he looked uncertain. I felt a sense of disappointment growing each second. But...I thought he liked me! He acted like he liked me...right?

"Well, why didn't he come say so himself?" I felt frustrated too. I thought he liked me! Now here was Alex, the guy I couldn't help loving, no matter how unavailable he was, telling me that John, the guy I loved---um I mean liked! (and I thought liked me) wasn't gonna make our date tonight. Ugh!! What is wrong with me??

"No, Angie, it's not like that! He wants to come, but he's sick, and---" I cut him off.

"Well, if he's so sick, he probably needs a good friend like you to keep him company, don't you think?"

"Angie---"

"Goodbye, Alex."

I watched as he walked out the door, his expression echoing what I felt:

Disappointment and frustration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(a/n #3: sorry I haven't written on this one in a while! I'll be updating more frequently from now on. Especially since we're at 146 views!! I can't believe that it's only been 2 weeks! Ilysm, guys! Don't forget to check out the one shots book [but the first part'll probably make you cry :( )