17: An Uncle's Second Chance

Começar do início

"Do you do this very often?" I ask, my voice a whisper, unwilling to cut through the serenity.

"Whenever I get the chance."

We're quiet for a little while longer, before I have to interrupt.

"Why don't you like me?"

He sighs. "At first, I didn't really care, all I could think about was my mom. And then I was agitated that you wouldn't let me leave. That wore off, I could see where you were coming from with all that. But you had this big arrogant persona. Arrogant people tend to be dangerous. They get you killed."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, okay. Let's give this guy a name... Alazonikos. Now, you go on a quest with Alazo here. He's arrogant, and it's super annoying. Then you get into a big battle with an enemy boss. He's over confident in his abilities, and it gets you in trouble in the fight. Wether it be solving a riddle, battle strategy, or combat skills, he messes up and you pay for it." Percy says. "Sorry, that was kind of long and stupid."

"No, I understand. But did you think I would get you in trouble?" I worry.

"It was always a possibilty, Tony."

There is quiet. Then I have to ask another question. This one is burning my insides with anxiousness.

"Percy?"

"Yeah?"

"Would you... Dammit. I don't know how to frame it." I sigh, and try a different approach. "I realized something pretty recently. I should've been there for you when you were growing up. I was wondering if you'd give me a second chance? Give me a go at being your uncle instead of some shitty billionaire?"

He's going to say no. Please don't say no. He's going to freak out and I'll drown here, all because I-

"You want to be my uncle?" Percy asks, surprised.

"Well, yeah. I understand if you don't want to..."  I start rambling.

I risk looking over at him, and he has a slight frown on his face. Shit, shit shit...

"Aren't you already my uncle, though?" The question is said innocently, but after a second, his frown turns into a small smile.

Relief floods through me. The little shit. He knew exactly how to say that sentence. That's my second chance. My relief is replaced by a light giddyness.

"Thank you." I tell him. He nods. "But, why?"

"I believe in second chances. Or redemption. Why did you stay with me after the nightmare?"

"I couldn't leave. I started actually thinking, you know, with feelings."

He gives a light laugh. I look over and see some of the seriousness fade for a little while. I realize he made a bubble for me, but not for himself.

"Where's your bubble?" I ask.

"Oh. I don't need one. And the water helps with the pain." He says.

"I'm sorry I couldn't help you." I look away.

"You didn't help me?" I can hear the frown in his voice. I don't answer. "Bullshit."

I look up in surprise. "What?"

"You woke me up. You shocked me with your glove thingy."

"That wasn't anything, really..."

"Cut the crap. In those nightmares, I can die. What happens to me in them, it happens in the real world. Don't tell Annabeth." His voice drops.