19: Greatest Truth

The last month has been filled with heists against the Russian Mafia

The last month has been filled with heists against the Russian Mafia. We have successfully stolen every single one of their shipments, soon leaving them with nothing. We've captured and tortured many of their members in hopes of Ivankov's whereabouts. Motherfucker isn't even in America anymore.

He's a little bitch.

"A, you good?" Z asks. I yawn and rub my eyes. I nod accordingly and she takes that as my answer. I slump back against my seat and fold my hands in my lap. I sit at the head of the table as Gio sits adjacent to me. This meeting is pointless; well, not really. At this moment, it feels extraneous to me for all I want is to sleep.

"As I was saying... we need to cover both the east and west sides. The north and south sides will be covered with fewer but our most trained men and women. A, you're north. Sal, you're south," Z says. That catches my attention. Salvatore and I haven't been separated on a mission since the first one we've had together. I've gotten used to him being by my side.

"What?" It comes out snarky and my face feigns one of 'what-the-fuck'. I look at her and she's staring back; in fact, everyone is staring. She shrugs her shoulders and squints her eyes at me. "Salvatore and I are north. Gio, Marcus and Alex are south. That's how it's always been and always will be." I tap my finger against the wooden table to enunciate my words.

"You two are our best snipers. We don't need you in the same zone. We need one north and the other south," Z retorts. I roll my eyes and shake my head. "I understand that you think it's your way or the highway but — "

"Nah, it is my way or the highway. Salvatore sticks with me, like always and the three musketeers stick together. Now, if you'll excuse me," I say as I push my chair back and stand up, "I'm out." I stuff my hands inside my pockets and stalk outside of my office. A guard pushes the door open for me and I exit the brightly lit room. I turn on my heel and walk towards my favorite room in this whole house: my bedroom.

I close the door behind me and fall face first into my sheets. I readjust my pillow and settle my head against it. I barely give myself time to push off my shoes with my feet before I fall asleep.

Salvatore

"Uh, what was that about?" Alex says after Alora has left the room. I sit back in my chair while having a smirk present on my face. I shrug my shoulders and add nothing to the conversation.

"Sal, I need to talk to you... in private," Zara urges. I nod and push my chair back. She opens the office door and leads me outside. Zara closes the door and walks towards the living room; she stops and sits down on the leather couch, so I follow suit. "What's going on with you and Alora?"

"What are you talking about?" I figure that Alora hasn't told Zara about us yet and it kind of stings. It brings into light that this isn't a sure thing, despite how bad I want it to be. However, if Alora didn't even bother to tell her best-friend about us, has she ever thought about taking this further?