Ch. 2 Morning

Peeta's P.O.V.

My eyes open. I feel warm, I feel happy, maybe peaceful even. I close my eyes. I turn on my side and wrap my arms tightly around Katniss, holding her close as though she may slip away. Wait. What did I just do? Am I laying next to Katniss? What happened, how did I get here? Is this real? I shoot up in the bed and rip off the covers, now sitting on the edge of the it. I'm loud, especially with my prostetic leg and it causes Katniss to stir in her sleep. What is happening? Where am I? I get up and walk to the window and eventually end up flopping down on the ground, sitting with my legs extended in front of me as I begin to trace the lines along the wooden floor with my finger nails. I try to think.

--------------------------

Katniss hates me. 

She's a mutt! 

Wait no. No she is not a mutt. 

Yes she is stupid! 

No... yes! 

No?

She killed your friends, your family. You hate her. She hates you more, shes nothing but a mutt, she even tried to kill you. Now you must kill her. 

I look over toward the bed and see Katniss start to wake up; rubbing her eyes.

--------------------------

I make my way back to the bed, furious now. I sort of hobble on my leg, which makes me even more angry because I know she did this to me. I make it over to the bed and am about to attack her but her voice stops me.

"Peeta?" her voice is soft as she whispers and she sounds confused and scared. Her eyes widen.

Realizing what I was about to do, my mouth hangs open and I gasp, trying not to let her notice how scared I am as well. I shake my head.

"Katniss-"

"Peeta, its-"

I swallow. "No. I'm so sorry. I don't know what I was thinking, I could have hurt you. Bad."

"Stop, its not your fault"

"But it is." I state

She shakes her head. "No. I was the one who asked you to stay, I shouldn't have."

I feel a pang of hurt in my chest. "Right-"

She cuts me off. "I didn't mean it like that-"

I shake my head "I know- I- I just- I'm sorry, I have to go, I don't want to hurt you."

"No, Peeta-" she pleads, taking my hand. But before she can object any further, I get up. "I'm sorry" Then I walk out leaving her alone. I hated to do that, it hurt so much but I just want to protect her.

--------------------------