Ch. 7 Plans

Katniss' P.O.V.

Its been days since I've seen Peeta. I need him in my life again. Before I know it, my fingers are pressing the small buttons on the phone. It rings twice and I'm about to hang up when a voice on the other end stops me.

"Uh hello?"

"Hey" I say into the phone.

"Katniss?" Peeta asks.

"Yeah. Who else?"

He chuckles a little and then it's silent.

"So..." he says

"Um yeah, I uh, I just wanted to talk to you." I give him an honest answer.

"Oh?" he says confidently.

I laugh a little.

"Well wanna come over?" he asks and my heart skips a beat.

"Sure." I reply trying to sound casual.

"Okay, then I'll see you in a little bit?"

"Yeah" I say and hang up. Crap, I forgot to say bye. Ugh I hate myself. Now I have to go over there. He must think I'm so awkward. I slam my palm onto my forehead. "Idiot!"

I walk up the stairs and into the bathroom so I can at least look decent when I see Peeta. As I brush my teeth and comb my knotted hair I decide to change into a maroon sweater and jeans. When I slip on my boots and take one last glance in the mirror, I realize my hair's a mess so I just braid it like usual. Well, here goes nothing. I take a deep breath and walk out into snow.

--------------------------

Peeta's P.O.V.

I can't believe Katniss just called. I miss her so much but I've been keeping my distance because I don't want her to see my flashbacks. They haven't gotten worse, but they haven't gotten much better either. It's a good thing I cleaned up the house because I impulsively invited her over and I can't take it back. I look out the window and see the snow coming down pretty hard. I feel bad for making her walk over in this weather. My hands are sweating I'm so nervous.

As soon as I'm about to call her and ask if she wants me to come to her instead, there's a knock on the door.

As I open it I see her, shivering, looking down at the ground.

"Hey" I say casually.

"Hi" she replies with a small smile.

"Oh, come in."

When she's fully inside, she hugs me. I gladly accept and hold her tightly.

"Katniss I-" I start

"I know" she interrupts me as she lets go.

"I missed you" I say.

"I missed you too."

We sit down around the kitchen table and I make us hot chocolate.

"Wow, I haven't had this stuff in ages" she says, taking a sip. "Oh and I have your jar by the way, the one that you gave me the pastries in."

"Oh yeah." I say, remembering.

"But I forgot it at my house. I can go get it really quick" she continues.

"No, no it's fine, I'll just get it tomorrow. It'll be like an excuse, for me to come over."

"Okay." she says smiling.

"I like it when you smile." I say without really thinking.

She blushes and looks at her feet.

"I haven't seen you smile in a while."

"Yeah, I know" she says sadly.

"Look, I don't think I ever got to really tell you this, but I'm sorry about your sister." I say cautiously.

"Thanks." she swallows, her smile quickly fading.

"I truly am, I know how much you loved her. She was so sweet and caring. And she was too young. And I miss her so much."

Katniss nods, and I see a few tears trickle down her face.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset."

"No, no you didn't it's just I still can't believe she's really gone. I loved her so much and now she's dead. I couldn't save her. I tried- I tried so hard but I couldn't and-"

"Hey" I say wrapping my arms around her.

"I just wish I could go back" she says between the tears.

"I know-I know" I whisper.

--------------------------