Chapter 21 - Unwanted

Mila's POV

I leaned over him and placed a soft kiss on his lips while my tears were running down my cheeks non-stop.

"I love you, Tristan." I mumbled, stroking his hair.

I brought his hand to my mouth and placed a soft kiss on his palm. Then I rested it on my cheek while staring at Tristan.

"Ma'am, you have to leave." The nurse said, giving me an apologetic look.

"Ok." I nodded.

I stroked his hair gently and placed a soft kiss on his forehead. Then I walked out while wiping my tears off my cheeks.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" Tristan's mother shouted at me as she saw me walking out of Tristan's room.

"Mrs. Sullivan..."

"You damn girl! Because of you and your cursed family, my son is dying. I hate you and your family. You have just brought bad luck." She barked and hit my shoulder. "What a brazen girl you are! What the hell are you doing here? Get out of here immediately!" She snarled as she grabbed my arm tightly and shook it roughly.

"Mrs. Sullivan, please. You are hurting me." I begged, crying as I tried to pull my arm away.

"Stay away from my son! Do you get it? Stay away from him!" She shouted, still shaking my arm.

"Mom!" Cody rushed beside us and pulled her mother away from me by holding her arms. "Calm down, Mom."

"Let go of me, Cody! It is because of her. Damn the day my son met you!" She shouted, looking into my eyes, full of rage in her eyes.

"Mrs. Sullivan, I love....loved him. He broke up with me. I didn't do anything bad to him." I explained, crying while rubbing my arm. It was still hurting. "I had nothing to do with that accident. I am innocent." I said, sobbing.

"Accident?" She asked mockingly. "It wasn't an accident. Tristan crashed into the truck intentionally. He wanted to kill himself." She shouted, crying and struggled to get rid of Cody's grip.

My eyes widened in shock. I placed my hand against the wall for support as I felt dizzy.

"What?" I mumbled with a shaking voice. My was barely audible.

"He didn't even hit the break nor decreased the speed of the car. The police told us." She confirmed, crying.

I couldn't hear what she was saying anymore. It felt like my heart stopped beating. My legs were shaking. I couldn't breathe properly.

"Get out of here!" She barked.

I walked away in slow steps. I didn't feel fine. My head was spinning.

Tristan wanted to kill himself. This sentence repeated on my mind while I was walking towards the exit in a trance, ignoring the people's curious looks.

I placed my hand on my chest as my heart tightened. I couldn't breathe anymore. My vision was blurry. Suddenly, my vision darkened.

When I opened my eyes, I was in a hospital room.

"Mila, how do you feel? I was so scared." Lucas asked, worried while holding my hand.

"Lucas? What are you doing here? And what happened to me?" I mumbled, puzzled while trying to remember.

"You fainted. I called you after seeing...the news." He paused, giving me a compassionate look. I bit my lower lip as my eyes welled up. "The nurse picked up your phone and informed me that you were in the hospital." He explained. "What are you doing here? Did you come to see...him?" He asked.

As he mentioned Tristan, my tears started running down my cheeks uncontrollably.

"Shh. Calm down. It is not good for you in your state. Think about your baby." He said softly as he hugged me.

My baby. Our baby. Tristan's baby.

I rested my hand on my stomach and hugged Lucas back tightly while crying hysterically.

****

As soon as we walked into the penthouse, my phone rang. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and looked at the screen. It was my mother. I put my phone on silent. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I still felt bad. I placed my phone back into my bag.

"You should rest. Come on." Lucas said softly, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and helped me to walk towards my room.

I was laying on my bed, lost in my thoughts while stroking my stomach. The last time I called the hospital, there was no change in Tristan's condition.

There was a knock on the door. I sat up on the bed and leaned against the headboard.

"Come in."

The door opened and my father walked in.

"Dad?" I looked at him, puzzled.

"How are you?" He asked, concerned as he approached me. "I know about....the accident." He added, giving me a compassionate look.

I pursed my lips together, trying to hold myself from crying, but I failed. Tears ran down my cheeks.

"Mila." He said sadly and sat down beside me on the bed. "Pull yourself together." He stroked my hair gently.

"It..is..because...of...me." I stated between my sobs.

"It isn't your fault. He broke up with you and broke your heart not you. And don't think about it anymore. It was just an accident." He commented and placed his hand on top of mine.

"It wasn't...an accident." I confessed, biting my lower lip while tears were still running down my cheeks. He gave me a questioning look. I breathed deeply and continued. "Tristan crashed into the truck intentionally." My voice cracked. Even talking about it made my heart sink. "He...didn't even hit the break nor decreased the speed of the car." I sobbed.

He looked at me, stunned. "...Are you sure?"

I nodded, wiping my tears off my cheeks. "Yes. His mother told me while...accusing me." I mumbled, looking down while playing with the hem of the blanket. "The police told her. They watched the CCTV footage." I added, crying.

"But why?" He asked, confused while rubbing the back of his neck. "This guy is a hypocrite." He added.

I looked away without saying anything while crying. Actually, I didn't know the answer myself either. Why did he want to kill himself? He broke up with me and told me he didn't want me in his life. But why did he try to commit suicide at my wedding day?

My father sighed, giving me a sympathetic look. "Come on. Stop crying." He said softly and hugged me. I gripped his collar, burying my head into his chest while crying.