Chapter Nineteen - Nothing Good

Start from the beginning

"Turning her into what exactly?" Cain asked. 

"A Vampire."

Dr. Zosak's breath caught in his throat at the intense look Cain gave him. 

"You don't get to make those decisions," Cain told him, stepping closer to him in anger. 

"Faced with the alternative, I would have, sir." 

The two held each other's intense gaze for a few more moments before the doctor cleared his throat and pushed his glasses further up onto the bridge of his nose. 

"She needs blood," Dr. Zosak said. 

"So? Give it to her."

"I can't, sir." 

Cain crossed his arms. 

"Why not?" 

Dr. Zosak gulped down the lump in the back of his throat. 

"Other than what she's receiving currently, we don't have any left to give her." 

Cain felt the tension in his crossed arms give way and they fell to his side. 

It occurred to him then that he had probably drank seven or eight quarts in the past few hours. 

"Get someone to donate," Cain argued. 

"It's not that simple," Dr. Zosak said. "Her blood tests haven't all been completed yet. I can't just give her a Lycanthrope's blood. I don't know whether her body would reject or accept its potency." 

Cain thought for a moment. 

"What about a sibling?" 

Dr. Zosak nodded. 

"Yes, I believe that would work if they were the same blood type." 

Cain turned and looked to Daniel who was still sitting in the chair against the hallway wall. 

"Go get her brother," Cain told him. 

Daniel didn't ask questions, he simply stood up and did as he was instructed. 

Cain turned back to Dr. Zosak. 

"Anything else?"

The doctor, not appreciating the sass, shook his head and stepped out of Cain's way to allow him into the room. 

- - - 

Ella's P.O.V.

I laid on my back on top of the examination table.

Thankfully, Dr. Zosak had elevated the back of it slightly and I was able to lean back without being uncomfortably flat. 

My injured arm was pressed against my chest while the fingers of my other hand toyed with the conjoined oxygen tubes that ran down my chest from where they had been pressed up under my nose and tucked behind my ears. 

Hearing the faint murmur of conversation in the hallway stop, I opened my eyes and turned my head to see Cain walking into the room.

His shirtless, muscular chest was the first thing I saw. After I managed to tear my eyes away from naked torso, I saw the blood on his face and arms. It was my blood.

The sight was gruesome and it was hard to look at.

I felt my heart begin to race and the neon green lead on the cardiogram that I was hooked up to began to bounce up and down quickly, pinging its way loudly across the monitor beside me.