What if You do?

"Nobody asked you to help me!" I spat as the tone he was taking with me.

He looked almost smug at what I'd said. Why the hell was that even remotely funny to him. I didn't ask for help. I'm quite certain my parents hadn't asked him to help. No one had even mentioned the idea of helping me. I didn't need his help. I would have gotten away on my own, just with more struggle. My wrist may or may not have gotten hurt either way, but that was besides the point.

"I didn't offer to help." He smirked. "I asked if you were fine."

I nearly stamped my foot at him. I snatched my wrist out of its foreign place in his hand and held it to my chest. He was being a complete ass.

"Then leave me alone, Jet." I glared at him. "My wrist isn't broken. It's just strained."

"I know. I looked at it." He knew everything didn't he?!
he stood there almost towering over me and smirking at me. He acted like somehow his mere existence made him the best!

"Yeah, well, good for you!" I growled now. "Just go back inside. I'm fine!"

He just laughed and stepped closer to me. I stepped backwards only to hit the rail that wrapped around the front porch. He stepped even closer and I panicked. I shoved him backwards quickly, but he caught both my hands in one of his.

"You're not fine." His voice was low now. "You're scared, your wrist hurts and you don't want to go home because you've had a bit too much to drink."

The fact that it was that easy for him to read me was enough to make my bite my lip in an attempt to keep from crying in frustration. I just wanted him to leave me alone or at least back off. I wanted Claudia to wrap me in a blanket on the couch and tell me in too much detail all about her latest kill. I wanted Tom to come in and announce some new kid he'd met while checking out the old tennis courts for the umpteenth time down in Furrow Hill. I wanted Eli to awkwardly sit there and then suggest we watch a 'Fast and Furious' movie. I wanted us all to complain about how much we hated our apprenticeships and our tutoring sessions our parents had made mandatory for our summer vacations. I wanted to be anywhere but here.

"So, What?!" I was shouting at him now. "I never asked for your help! I never asked for you to move here and to mess up the perfect summer I had planned! I never asked for Kevin to pull that! I don't need help, Jet!"

Why couldn't he get the point?! I didn't want him around my right now! I just wanted a moment. Somehow, even though I knew it was possible, I knew it was wasn't going to be happening.

"You do." He said gently as his arms snaked around my back and he pulled me into a gentle hug as the waterworks began. "You just won't admit it because you're so used to equating the need for help with weakness."

I didn't push away from him. I stood still, my vision to blurred by my tears to be able to see anything besides the fuzzy outline of his black top and tanned skin of his arm.

"Just shut up!" I sobbed, somehow comfortable with the fact that he was comforting me. "I hate this!"

"It'll be okay, sweetheart." He chuckled, suddenly pulling me from the ground and sitting me on the rail. "You're not hurt too bad."

He stood between my legs and I placed my head in the centre of his chest. He smoothed my hair comfortingly until I stopped crying. I pushed myself away from him and slid off the rail. I didn't like the fact that the cocky son of a bitch who'd arrived to make my life hell had just seen me at my worst. I wanted to get as far away from him as possible.

I mumbled an apology to him before he grabbed my arm again. I didn't panic this time. Instead, I looked up at him and met his eyes. They'd softened now and he looked at me with gentle skepticism. He was trying to read me.

"I'm fine now." I told him, shoving any emotions I had out of my acknowledgment and smiling. "I'm sorry you had to um... yeah. Thank you, Jet."

"We're going to back to my place. Your parents and my aunt and uncle went to the country club for some lame formal function. My cousin is the spending the night at your place and my aunt and uncle rented a room at the club." He explained quickly, pulling me down the steps that lead to Eli's front door.

I wanted to object, but when I saw Claudia staring at us from the window I changed my mind. I flashed her an apologetic smile and offered a hurried wave. I never got the chance to see if she'd returned either. I knew that I made her jealous and somehow, I knew I didn't need to try as hard as she often did.

"I just want to go home, then." I told him, trying to gently tug my arm away from his hand.

"Not an option, virgin girl." He mumbled, his voice barely audible, but clearly annoyed. "You can't be on your own right now."

"What the hell, Jet?!" I growled. "Just leave me alone! I'm fine!"

"If you were so fine, you wouldn't be limping and whining and looking around like a scared little rabbit." He retorted with a smirk. "I know you just don't want me to the one comforting you. You're trying to play hard to get. It's cute, but just cut it out and kiss me."

"You're drunk?" I almost laughed at him. "I'm not kissing you, asshole. You're not that great."

"What if I kiss you?" He stopped and turned to look at me now.

"What if you do, asshole?" I spat. "What do you think?"