Changing Accords

I walked around the club, feeling slightly out of place at the lunch bar in my tennis clothes. I looked like those annoying girls whose father got a deal with the company he works for to become a member; messy and greedy. I was neither of those things.

My best bet was to go back to the courts and see if Claudia was convincing Jet to play another game. For some reason, the idea of them together enraged me. I tried to push it down. Would it really be so bad if Claudia got a boyfriend before I did?

She'd ruin his scholarship if she let him impregnate her. Was I really even worried about Claudia?

"Hey, virgin girl." I internally groaned.

"Go away, pervert." I grunted at the boy dressed like he was going to some sort of athletic funeral.

"I'd rather walk behind you and stare at your ass." He said bluntly.

He said that to get a reaction out of me. I felt like screaming at him and telling him what an inappropriate boy he was. I didn't. Instead, I ran away.

I sprinted to the tennis courts without bothering to listen or check if he was following.

"You like to run?" He chuckled, hardly breathless.

"Away from things that are worthless? Yes." I retorted, making Tom spit the water in his mouth out.

Jet opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. I rendered the cocky city brat speechless. I smirked to myself before turning to my friends. I'd received another point.

"Y'all want to come for a swim at my place tonight?" Eli asked, distracting me from the bickering. "My parents are out for the evening."

"We'll be there!" Claudia said, grabbing onto my arm and smiling too widely. "What bikini should I wear?!"

She pretended she was talking to me. However, her eyes wandered over to the boy in black. I rolled my eyes and heard Tom chuckle again. He occasionally understood the nuances Claudia threw at me. It was partially the only reason I'd managed to put up with them all these years.

"What bikini are you going to wear, virgin girl?" This boy had no shame!

I ignored him and put my racket back in its bag. Claudia did the same and I followed her to the car. I went along with her fake-girly chatter and pretended to be interested in her gossip before she finally pulled into my driveway.

Mr. and Mrs. Black we're on our doorstep, smiling fondly at us while holding a bowl covered with plastic foil. They were staying for dinner.

Claudia was about to ask to stay for dinner. I saw when her head shot in my direction. I jumped out of the car and thanked her for the ride a briskly as possible. The girl barely understood boundaries, let alone the basics of common manners.

She shot me a look as she grabbed Jet's ass when he walked by. I kept a poker face. Were we competing for this boy? I don't compete for boys. I compete in cheer competitions, tennis and academic testing. Not arbitrary school girl things. She was being pathetic.

Even if it were a competition, she had no chance.

"Abby, we should discuss tonight." Jet caught me off-guard before we walked into the house.

I waved distractedly as Claudia drove off before turning to glare at him.

"Why?" I asked bluntly.

"Well, I'm just going to let you know, I'm jaw droppingly gorgeous in swim trunks." He smirked to himself.

He thought this was a clever choice of words that would fluster me. I was almost entirely fed up with his cockiness. I refused to let him know I was sick of him. I smirked before looking up at him.