What's In A Name

I was picked up promptly at two o'clock by my father on his way in from a meeting with his appointed C.E.O. The car ride was nice. He'd watched part of my match and had complimented my skills. We'd then talked about his excitement(and mine) for my new attendance at university next year. The simple father-daughter conversations one would expect.

I was now in my bedroom in my pink dressing gown and matching slippers trying to figure out what they'd prefer I wore tonight. Obviously not fancy-fancy, but not casual either. It was always I fine line in being underdressed or overdressed, it was especially difficult not to cross either side in this town. Dinner wasn't formal, but it was a formal introduction. Oh! How I love the art of dressing.

I decided you can't go wrong with a sundress, especially in this heat. I grabbed a red one with little white polka dots and slipped it on. Pairing it with a pair of brown, flat sandals I let my hair down applied some mascara before heading downstairs.

Marley was wearing an nearly neon pink dress with some wild looking sandals and arguing with my mother who held a navy blue dress in her left hand. Romeo wore a navy blue polo and a pair of khaki shorts. That was all the poor kid owned besides his athletic wear. My mother looked lovely in a grey, maxi dress that looked quite comfortable, actually and some casual gold jewelry. My father was in an almost suit, but Mr. Black would be dressed the same. They were business men. They always looked like that.

"Marley, you look like that ponytail YouTuber." I said. "Like, I swear they can see you from the moon in that dress."

"It's burning me eyes!" Romeo pretended to dramatically act as though his eyes had been gouged out and roll around on the floor.

"Well, you guys suck!" She sulked, snatching the dress from my mothers hands and storming off. "I like my Jojo-bow!"

My father told Romeo to get up, kissed my mother on the cheek and told me I looked lovely. He stood in front of my mother for a moment holding his watch out to her until she put it on. He was worse than my brother sometimes!

Marley reappeared in the new dress but demanded she was keeping her absurd sandals on and dramatic hairpiece in. My mother sighed, but obliged and we piled into the car. The drive was short. It was less than ten minutes, but it was too hot for walking. The first week of summer came with the first heatwave of the year.

We pulled into the driveway and managed to pile out of the car civilly. Mrs. Black answered the door with Grace standing almost directly behind her. She didn't seem as wild as she normally was, but I just took it as the Lord blessing me for the evening.

"My, Abigail! You look absolutely lovely in that shade, sweetheart." Mrs. Black exclaimed.

"Awe!" I blushed, She was always very sweet. "Thank you!"

"Why don't you all head into the living room and we can do some introductions?" Mrs. Black suggested, ushering the five of us into their lovely home.

I took a seat on one of their lounge chairs and tucked a pillow under my side for comfort before pulling my feet up and sitting sideways. I looked around. My parents beside each other, a twin on either side of Grace, Mr. and Mrs. Black beside each other and their nephew- their nephew was hot! When I say hot, I mean drop dead gorgeous, probably signed with more than a few modelling agencies or something. Chiselled jaw, sharp eyes, strong eyebrows. That was a man if I'd ever seen one.

"This is our godson and nephew, Jet." Mr. Black said as he gestured to the hot guy.

"Hey." He said casually.

My father chuckled slightly and the twins burst into a fit of giggles. His name was Jet Black?! That was ridiculous. His real name could not be Jet. That just couldn't be an actual name somebody would curse their child with.

"Your name's Jet?" Marley was the first to speak. "Like, Jet Black?"

"Uh... yeah?" He looked at her as if she were nuts.

"It's his preferred name, Marley, darling." Mrs. Black interjected, trying to suppress her own laughter. "He'll tell you his real one if he'd like to, alright?"

She was too sweet. Not fake, just super sweet. She knew Marley meant well and let it go. My mother was sending her the look, but she ignored it.

The boy looked as if he didn't give a hoot what the lot of us thought of him. I mean, why would he? If the rumours were fact, he was from New York City and had been in some sort of gang while juggling his apparent legendary football abilities. I didn't take New York City kids to be football prodigies, but if it was going to be anyone, it'd be him.

"That is Mr. and Mrs. Davenport, Jet. They're longtime and very good friends of ours." Mrs. Black proceeded with the introductions.

My father stood up and so did Jet. They shook hands. "Good to meet you, sir." He said curtly.

"Ma'am." He shook my mothers hand delicately, before taking his seat again.

"The twins; Marley and Romeo." She was going around the room.

He shook Romeo's hand, making my little brother swell up with pride. I stifled a laugh at him. He looked a bit ridiculous if you asked Marley or I.

"How are ya, bud?" He asked, smiling at the younger kid in front of him.

"Good." My brother paused. "Bud."

"Miss Marley. A pleasure." He shook her hand the same way he'd shook my mothers and made the awkward thirteen year old blush.

"And lovely Abigail." I stood up and held my hand out.

He took it gently and placed a kiss on it, looking up at me as he did so. His all black attire made it feel like it was a scene out of a movie. I didn't know what to do so I sat down once he was done. I could tell I was blushing madly.

"Jet, come help Mr. Davenport and I outside with the barbecue." Mr. Black said, standing up.

Jet followed suit. He was tall. Not absurdly gangly-tall, but the attractive, mildly intimidating tall. His whole body seemed to scream big, tall, hot and dangerous. It was hot to say the least. I watched him follow my father and his uncle outside. He turned before he left and made eye contact. I wasn't sure, but I could've sworn he'd winked at me.

"Abby likes Jet! Abby likes Jet!" Grace squawked and pointed at me.

"What?" I looked at her, confused.

"Oh! C'mon, Abby!" Romeo cried. "You've been staring at him for the past twenty minutes. I think I've seen you blink maybe twice."

"Don't be absurd." I rolled my eyes. "I've hardly met him."

"Sure, sure." Marley giggled, before looking at Grace. "Keep your mouth shut about it. She doesn't need to be embarrassed by us."

Who even was my sister? She smiled at me before she and the other two scurried off upstairs to Grace's room. I followed my mother and Mrs. Black into the kitchen to help with dinner.