Let Me Do The Same

Despite the knife threatening to pierce me front to back, I can't help but shout in terror. There was no way— how could he just—

"What are you talking about?" I demand, not even bothering to flinch as the blade shifts closer to my windpipe. V's eyes flicker over to me, and to the knife just barely on my skin.

He growls.

"Get the weapon off of them and then we'll talk. You don't want me away again, don't you?"

"Clever." The man admits as he waves at the guards, who lowers their blades. But their grip on our bodies don't seem to loosen even a tiny bit— it only seems to get stronger and firmer.

"So," He whispers, a violent smile tugging on the corners of his thin lips.

"What do you think of coming back?"

"I don't have a choice, don't I?" V shoots back, tone venomous. His eyes flash urgency and thoughtfulness at the same time. I recognize that look— he's thinking.

And I've never hoped so desperately before.

"Your friends," The man nearly spits out the word, as if he was saying something disgusting instead of the term of endearment. "Have dragged your potential down. You were our prize student at the age of thirteen— and you could've been so much more if you'd stayed."

"I've never regretted escaping that hellhole you call home," V hisses. "And who ever said I wanted to be something you could mold into a killing machine?"

The man's eyes narrow, and I see a glimpse of his true self behind those dark irises.

It looks dangerous.

Degrees more than my father— and I hadn't realized such a darkness and hatred existed.

"Watch your words." He warns. "Haven't I taught you that words hold power— power that can get you killed? This place has dulled you, V. It's time to sharpen the sword you truly are."

"Shut up."

V's face turns dark with frantic desperation for a brief second before it turns into a mask of emotionless again. He sighs— and his eyes dart towards the front door, secured and locked.

What for?

"You truly are a prodigy." The man says, a note of awe in his voice. "A thinker— combined with the ability of a true assassin."

"Be quiet!" V growls, and the man falls silent. Even though any normal person would've been angry, only a flicker of amusement crosses his manipulative features. He wants to see what V does next— what he can possibly come up with in this condemning situation.

Not even a full second passes before V begins to speak. His voice is quiet— soft. But somehow, the softness sounds more threatening.

"I will leave with you. But only if you leave the others alone. Let them be— if I discover that you caused even a single scratch on them, I swear that I won't leave with you. Even if it comes to the point of killing myself. You won't ever get me then, will you?"

The man grins at the note of challenge in his voice. It's sickening— the definition of revolt itself. Horror and panic suddenly tears me apart as I realize what he was saying.

"You—"

Then my lips immediately close as V flings out a hand, stopping my words in its tracks. He gives me a warning glance before addressing the man again.

"You will not lay a finger on them. And before I go, let me have five minutes with her."

An expression that makes me shiver twists the man's face. "You don't expect me to fall for that, do you? I'm not foolish—"