Pawns in a Game

"No assignment today!" Jimin sings as he dances his happy dance across the room. He ends the dance with a graceful pirouette, stopping right in front of Jin.

"Please can we go play ball?"

"First of all," Yoongi cuts in, leaning back lazily on his beanbag as usual. "Fix that atrocious grammar. And why in the world do you want to go outside on such a beautiful day? It's perfect weather to sleep in."

I can practically hear everyone rolling their eyes at Yoongi's expected reply.

"Nope." Jin refuses, hauling a reluctant Yoongi off the beanbag as he nods at Jimin. "We're going to go and play some tennis. The weather's too precious to waste."

"But Jungkook always wins tennis!" Jimin whines childishly as he waves at the smirking maknae.

"Fine," Jin acknowledges. "We'll play baseball."

"But Jungkook always wins that too!"

"There's a reason I'm so golden, hyung." Jungkook smiles smugly as he pretends to pick at his fingernails. "That's because I'm too good at everything."

"Except for common sense." Yoongi strikes, still clearly annoyed at the chicken comment. "And the logical parts of the brain."

Jungkook makes a face as Jin throws up his hands in defeat. "What then? If Jungkook's going to win everything, what's the point?"

"Let's go box at that place!" Namjoon suggests, his dimples showing. "The place where they have really nice gloves."

"Boxing? Then how is Tzuyu going to participate? Or V? Their body parts are all out of order for that, remember?"

I give an annoyed glare at Hoseok as he sheepishly smiles and shrugs an apology. The pain had decreased significantly lately, thanks to his expert medical skills. But that didn't mean that he gave him the right to rub it in.

"I've decided." Jin declares, his arms excited and waving rapidly. "And no one's going to say otherwise, because this is what we're going to do."

Time Skip

"You have to be serious." Yoongi groans as Jin hands him a knife.

"Or you could take the bow." Jin shrugs as he motions at the rack of knives and arrows. "Let's check up on your accuracy, Yoongi. You better have been practicing."

"Come on, hyung. You got to be joking." Yoongi centers the knife without giving it a second glance, mirroring all the other members. I sit back and watch as the target is moved further away.

"Tzuyu," Namjoon calls, handing me a knife. "You should try. Who knows— you might be good at it like the chess game."

"Bow, please."

Even nocking the arrow is a struggle for me, and I wonder if I should've just gone with the knife. When it slips out from the string for the fifth time, I hear a frustrated sigh as V moves over me.

His hands close around the fallen arrow, angling the shaft so it would stay in the string. It annoys me how he is able to make the frustrating process look so easy and elegant at the same time.

Finally, I draw back the string until it pushes against my lip— just like I'd observed in videos. Trying to calculate the wind and distance, I move the bow slightly above than a parallel path.

I still didn't know what I was doing was right until the arrow leaves the string, the rebound strong enough to make me stumble a step back.

It hits the center of the target, driving barely a centimeter to the right of the knife V had buried in.