22.

"Arthit, Tod, I'm sorry to inform you that your project will no longer be awarded the first place in the contest. There was a meeting with the executives, earlier this morning and we decided to re-evaluate the entries. We considered the idea of the QC Dept. as a more cost effective option." Khun Watakeekul informs them.

While his boss is talking, Arthit keeps his eyes to the ground. He suddenly feels sick to his stomach. He'd really hoped his intuition would fail him, but it turned out to be correct.

"I know this is out of the blue, but we need to think of what's of best interest for the company. I expect you to understand." the man further explains.

"Yes, sir. We understand." Tod replies in a weak voice.

Once back at their respective desks, the two refuse to talk about what happened in their boss' office, much to Earth's and Som-oh's disappointment.

At lunch, Arthit sits with his co-workers. He is quiet, pushing his food back and forth on his plate, while the others are chatting. He sort of envies how Tod doesn't seem as upset about the whole thing as he is.

"Tod, I'm ... I'm really sorry." he mumbles suddenly.

"Sorry? About what, Mr. Sun?"

"You worked hard on the project and I know you were so happy it won the first prize. If only I hadn't been on the same team with you, none of this would've happened."

"Arthit, don't be ridiculous. Why would the judging panel's decision to reconsider their choice and award a different project be your fault?" Earth asks.

"Yeah, don't worry. We'll just have to do better next year." Tod adds with a friendly pat on the other man's shoulder.

"I must say it was unexpected, not to mention this never happened before. I wonder what made them change their mind about the winner of the contest over night." Cherry muses, scratching his chin.

"Let's forget about it, put it all behind. I for sure won't let it darken my mood." Tod says.

Arthit opens his mouth to voice out his theory but he notices nobody is interested in further discussing the subject, so he gives up, sinking lower into his chair.

After the break, as they are heading back to the office, Arthit receives a message from his husband, informing him to come to Bright's bar at 7 pm. The man sighs. Usually, he wouldn't mind having a couple of beers with his friends, but today that's the last thing he is in the mood for.

✥✥✥

Arthit is half an hour late and as soon as he arrives, Bright complains about having waited for too long and where are his manners, etc.

"Sorry, Ai'Bright. We were pretty busy today. Plus, the traffic was a nightmare."

"Don't mind him, Arthit. He's being a little bitch because he just got dumped the other day." Toota explains.

"Oi, what the heck, man?! I am actually in pain."

"Plenty of other fish in the sea, bro. Speaking of which, check out those hotties that just came in." Prem notes, jabbing his friend in the ribs to get his attention.