Chapter 35- Flirting

April 21, Wednesday, 12:21pm

We walk to the cafeteria and put our stuff down on the side by the window. Nina, Sarah, Dilynn, and Katelyn go to buy lunch while the rest of us eat our own lunch. Jake takes the seat across from me, and Missy sits on his right side, clinging onto his arm and hopelessly flirting with him. It was sad. She is twirling her hair while giggling at everything he says. The worst part is that Jake is completely oblivious to what she is doing. Doesn't he like Nina? Maybe he's just clueless. Really clueless. Connor and I looked at each other. We both shake our heads knowing this is going to end very badly. Hopefully, he will come to his scenses and see how good he has it with Nina. I mean she may be all sweet and and kind but if you cross her, you will be wishing you were six feet under the ground. Jake then surprisingly looks at me, and has a pleading look in his eyes, almost as he were screaming for help. And then I realized it. He wanted out. He was kinda freaked out by Missy. I knew he wouldn't have been into her! I try to think of an excuse to help him out but do I really want to? I mean he hasn't been exactly the best person to me. But I hate to see Nina's face if she found out one of her friends were flirting with her crush. So I continue to think of a excuse. Hmm......... What excuse could I exactly come up with?

"I gotta use the bathroom. Be right back." Jake said quickly, pushing himself out of Missy grip and running as fast as lightening out of the cafeteria.

Well now I don't have to make up an excuse. But, he couldn't be a little more creative. If Missy wasn't so oblivious, she would have known it was a stupid excuse. It's the oldest excuse in the book. Hopefully Nina gets back before he does because I don't think Missy is going to stop unless Nina is there.

Katelyn came out from the line first. "Wow, this food looks so good. I mean it's sliced turkey with mash potatoes and gravy with bacon on top. This school is awesome." Katelyn said.

Nina came over, and sat down where Jake was sitting.

"Hiya!" She exclaimed happily, and everyone else greeted her back. I really hope Missy would stop, now that Nina was back. She began to eat, being her normal, perky self.

She then notices Jake isn't there. "Where did Jake go?" she asked. "Oh he had to go to the bathroom so he left. He should be back soon." Missy answered. As if he heard us, he came into the cafeteria to finish his lunch. He spots Nina, and almost like magic, a smile instantly appears on his face. He stood and just looked at her, getting bumped into by a jock and him falling on the floor. Ouch. That's gotta hurt. He got up, his face flushed and with embarrassment, and sat back down with a goofy smile on his face.

"Hey Nina." Jake said, that same goofy smile still there, and Nina smiled too.

"Hi Jake. You okay?" She asked, a hint of concern in her voice.

"Oh that?" He scuffed. "Yeah! Yeah, I'm totally cool. Fine. Amazing. Supercalifragalisticexpealidosious now that your here." He flirted, adding in a small wink and fixed his smile so it was a small grin and not that full blown goof smile. Nina let's out a cute little laugh as he tries to be cool. It's not fooling anyone or at least not me. I hide my laugh very well. I wish I can say the same about Conner and Katelyn. They were laughing, not able to control it. At least they were considerate to try to muffle it by putting a hand over their mouth.

"Well I'm glad your here too." She replied with a sincere smile. See? This is why I didn't wanna her to see Missy flirting with Jake. It would break her heart. He smiled a little wider, and we all continued eating our lunch.

"Thanks Nina." Jake said before he took a sip of his Coke, the share-a-coke name just happening to be Nina. He realizes this and said "This is the best soda I ever had. And it's because it reminds me of how sweet you are." Nina blushes at this, of course. I have to admit he is quite the charmer, not in the way that I like him but he is good with the girls. This kind of worries me though. He might be too good that girls might just want him for themselves, like Missy, and not care who he likes.

We all decided to go outside for the remainder of lunch, Nina and Jake sitting under the shade of a tree holding hands as the girls gossiped and Katelyn, Conner and I sat on the grass in a sunny spot.

"How long do you think it will take for Missy to know Jake and Nina like each other and Jake doesn't like Missy?" Conner surprisingly asked. I was surprised he knew that but I guess it is kind of obvious, mostly with all the little hints.

"Probably tomorrow but she will still try to flirt with him, which is so rude." I said.

"It is. Hey, let's go spy!" Katelyn exclaimed. We all hid behind another tree, close enough to hear, and see, but not let them hear or see us.

"So......" Jake trailed off.

"So......" Nina repeated, both of them awkwardly sitting there.

"You know, I've never actually had real friends." He admitted to Nina. Wait, what? Did he just say he never actually had friends?

"Really?" Nina asked surprised, almost as surprised as I was.

"Yeah. I guess since I've always been so caught up with training with my sister and with my secret and stuff I never really had time to make friends. Or anyone else. I've always been kind of a loner." He explained.

"Well, now you have Mackenzie, Katelyn, Conner, Missy, Sarah, Dilynn and, of course, me so now you don't have to be a loner." She said to Jake.

"Yeah, I guess, but you should know..." He said. Oh no, he's thinking about telling Nina about Missy flirting with him. Just as he was about to speak, we move in closer, and Conner trips on the roots sticking out of the ground and reveals us. Jake gave us a glare, and Nina looked confused.

"Uh.........." Katelyn tried to come up with an excuse, but right when she was about to, the bell rang. Luckily. We all left, and went to our next class.