Chapter 17- Costumes and Names

March 22, Monday, 5:30am (Starting to put dates. Less confusing for me and probably you)

I woke up and got ready for school. Once I am ready I grab my backpack and head out the door. I head to the park where Conner and Nina usually wait at. Well mostly Conner, Nina most of the time takes forever to get ready but who blames her. She is a girl.

I see both Conner and Nina waiting for me. It is not that it takes me long to get ready but I have to walk more than them to get to the park and I don't feel running since I am lucky to get four hours a sleep on school days.

"Hey guys. Hope you didn't have to wait long." I said.

"Nah, I just got here anyway." Nina said with a smile. I love how she always smiles even when we have to go to the most horrific place in the world.

School.

Okay, I don't really detest school but it isn't the top ten places I want to be. Sure I like to learn but with all the rest of the kids who only think about their looks rather than the actual learning, count me out. It isn't that I detest them, but I rather be with a few people than a lot. I am an introvert. But this isn't really my choice so I guess I will have to just live with it.

We arrive to school fifteen minutes early. We all go to our locker to get our binders and/or folders.

We head to history and wait for the announcements to come on. We stand once Mr.Gales says to stand for the pledge.

We finally begin class. We are learning about world war 2. It is really sad. We watched a short clip about to get a taste and the we start to take notes for the rest of the class period.

Once class was over, we all packed our stuff and head to next period. We all walk towards our class together until we pass Nina's math class. She goes in and I can see her already see her talking to Missy and her other two friends, Sarah and Dilynn. They were just as mean and annoying as Missy.

We continue walking to science. We enter and begin taking notes soon after.

-----------------------------

School was finally over. We started to walk back home. "Nina, we should head to HQ for training," I say once Conner was out of hearing distance. "Sure. I would love to try my powers again. It is like a rush when I use my speed and it is so cool when we talk to each other by mind," she replies happily, "But first let's get Nugs. He looked upset when I had to go to school."

"Nugs?" I asks confused.

"Yea, a shorter version of Nugget."

"Oh, okay. We can get him." I say.

We walk to her house. We go in and "Nugs" starts running towards us full speed.

"Finally! I was bored all day. So how are? What did you do while at this place you call 'School'? Was it fun? Was it boring? I looked up school online. It looks boring. With all that boring colored bricks. They should-" he says very fast and full of energy.

"Wait, you went on my computer?! How did you even guess my password?!" Nina asks loudly.

"Your dairy. It was very interesting. Especially when you mentioned me." he says.

"Hey! That book is private!" she says angrily.

"Not anymore." he mutters.

"C'mon we have to leave. We can't be late." I say.

"Where are we going?" he asks curiously.

"HQ." I say quick. I hear Nina coming down the stairs with a new bag. Since when did she go up? Nina grabs Nugs and we go back outside.

We head to HQ and go into the training room while Nugs go to a corner dragging his bed Nina got him. I quickly go change into my training outfit while Nina changes into a fashionable gym clothes. She is wearing designer yoga pants with a sparkly pink t-shirt with her hair in a high pony tail.

We begin with heat vision and how to control it. "Okay, let's start with heat vision. Firs-"I say before interrupted. "WAIT, I have heat vision?!l" she interrupted. "Yea, for training all you have to do is aim at the targets and make sure you only aim at the area that is protect with fire proof walls." I say. "Okay" she replies.

She starts out slow but gradually gets better and faster. Unfortunately she hears a noise from my direction with probably the super hearing she has and she accidentally shoots at me with heat vision. I raise my arm right on time for my heat resistant shield pop open and shield me from the heat laser to hit me. I was not worried of getting hurt. I have very good instincts.

Nina started to freak out about what she did, "Oh my gosh, I am SO sorry. I didn't mean to do that. I heard a noise over in your direction and I wasn't think when I turned. And-"

"It's fine, Nina, I am okay. I didn't get hurt and it wasn't your fault. You just heard a noise and you just turned to it because of your instinct to turn on any noise. I know it was an accident so don't worry and plus I did not get hurt."

------------------------------

We did many other training sessions like speed after that fiasco. It was about 10. Around the time when I go out to patrol.

"Well that wraps up that session. Now, you should head home and sleep. I have parol to do anyway." I say. "Hey, how about I go with you. With my powers, I can be a valuable player to our team." she says while putting an arm around my two shoulders.

"Our team?"

"All I need is a name and a costume." she says ignoring my hesitation.

"Ugh, I don't think that is a good idea." I said in a quiet voice trying not disappoint her too much.

"Why not?" she asks confused.

"'Cause you barely have control of your powers and you don't have experience in the field." I say calmly.

"Oh come on, can I please at least tag along so I could get some experience."

"It is okay to me but you will have to ask Matthew." I say knowing he would say no. I was confident he would.

She turns to Matthew and asks "May I please go with Mackenzie to patrol?"

"Fine but no unnecessary action. Only use powers when you have no other option. And you would need a codename and a costume." He says to my shock.

"YES! Thank you, sir," she says happily, "I already have the costume in my bag. I made last night hoping I will be able to convince you to let me tag along. All I need is a name."

She takes out her costume. It was very flamboyant. It was pink with pink glitter and sparkles all over it. It had a pink skirt but also pink tights under it. She even had a matching pair of boots and a head band.

"Uh, don't you think that is a little too flashy?" I asks concerned she might be spotted a mile away.

"I think it is perfect," says Nina, "What should my name be? Supernina? No. Dash? No. Hm maybe it should theme with my costume. It is really girly. What is a girly name? Hm. I GOT IT. Girly Girl. It is perfect with my costume. What else says girly than pink and sparkles." she says think out loud.

Seems like Shades, the dark and mysterious vigilante with no powers, got a new partner named Girly Girl, the bright and fun superhuman with very unique abilities.