Chapter 42- The Kiss and Eavesdropping

It's been a long time, and I'm super sorry! I'm going to try and update faster! I advise to read at least the last chapter again if you forgot what happened.

Nina's POV

I can't believe Jake sung me a song. That's the most sweetest thing anyone has done for me. He's so great. I'm going to really miss him when I have to leave Sunday.

I smiled at him and he smiled back. We stayed this way for what felt like a long time but more likely was just 10 seconds.

It was at that time I heard a song come on. To be more specific, a slow song. Jake stuck out his hand towards me.

"Wanna dance?" He asked as his hand waits for mine to latch on.

I smile and grabbed his hand and pulled us close together. We danced to the song but I could barely listen over the sound of my heart beating fast. This is my last chance. My only chance.

We danced through the whole song as we stared into each other's eyes and forgot about everything. Nothing else mattered anymore. Nothing except my feeling for him.

The song was coming to the end but I wanted it to last forever. Being in his arms and ignoring the world around us. It was perfect. But the world never did like being perfect, did it.

The song ended but we stayed locked to each other, neither of us wanted to let go but we eventually had to. Nothing lasts forever. I had to do it. If I'm going, then I'm going with everything I wanted.

I leaned in kissed Jake. After a second, I felt him do the same. It felt amazing.

I pulled back stunned at what I've done. I kissed him. I kissed Jake. And I couldn't be happier.

Mackenzie's POV

I'm glad Jake went through with his plan. He really made Nina happy today or at least from what I can tell from them kissing. I was with Conner and Katelyn at the time when the slow dance came on. It felt like it lasted forever and I rather have regular music blasting than the awkwardness of a slow dance. Either you didn't know how or didn't have someone to dance with. Well, someone that was comfortable with dancing with you.

So Katelyn, Conner and I stood at the sides with all the rest of students who didn't dance either.

Conner's phone rang soon after the slow dance was over and he accused himself to a quieter place.

Katelyn and I stood around just talking.

"So how long has Conner liked you?" Katelyn blatantly asked.

"What are you talking about? Conner and I are just friends," I was confused, Conner only liked me as a friend and that's all. Why would she think...

"He's been looking at you like he wants to ask you something all night. It's not that hard to tell." Katelyn explained.

"Listen, Conner and I will only be friends. He doesn't think of me like that and I don't think of him like that. We are and always will be friends." I tried to reason. I would have noticed if he liked him. It's not something I would miss.

"If you say so," Katelyn said dropping the conversation.

"I'm going to get a drink. I'll be right back." I said before leaving to the snack table.

I grabbed a drink and was making my way back when I heard Conner talking on the phone. It wasn't the fact he was on his phone, since he said he had to take a call, but it was the tone of his voice. He sounded so serious and... desperate? I don't know.

"I can't right now... please, dad... I know... I know... thank you" I heard him say before he hung up.

What was that all about? Should I confront him on it? But then he'll know I listened in to his conversation. But I need to know!

I walked towards as if I had just saw him and decided to check up on him. He wouldn't think I eavesdropped on him but when I ask him about it, he'll tell me think that I may have heard some of it.

"Hey, Conner" I said as I approached him.

He got startled by my presence, I probably should have made loud footsteps so he heard me coming.

"Oh hey, Mackenzie, I was just about to go in." Conner said in his normal chill tone.

"What was he call about?" I casually asked as we began to walk back to the dance together.

"Oh, just my dad. He wanted me to come home but I convinced him to let me stay. Nothing big. Just... um, I promised I would clean my room before I left but I completely forgot. He was a little mad but let me stay. I just have to clean it when I get home." He explained. It does make sense in the context. I believe him.

"Wow, Conner. Shame on you for leaving your room unclean." I joked.

"I know, I guess I was a little too excited for the dance, that I completely forgot about it," Conner said. We both laughed.

Sorry it's short too.