10. Snoggers and Sleeping Beauty

Start from the beginning

"And well, you know me." My brother said. 

"Shut up, will you?" I said and tried to calm myself. "Let's just get this over with. Let's go." I said and started walking out of the flat. "Wait. Where's the shithead?" I said.

"He's on the couch." Sanjana said.

I walked into the living area and saw him in his black tux sprawled out of the couch. He was sleeping. Just when it was time to leave. I leaned over him to try to wake him up and noticed he was drooling because his mouth was open a little. I could see the movements of his chest as he breathed. I called his name. His thick eyelashes fluttered a bit and he clenched his eyes shut one last time before opening them. 

His greenish-hazel ones met with mine. We just stared at each other for a few seconds until I looked away.

"Enjoyed the view?" He asked with a prominent smirk on his face. He was undeniably handsome. His cockiness just made him annoying but utterly cute.

"You wish." I said with a scoff. I know I enjoyed it but I wasn't going to admit it. "Now come on, we have to click some pictures." I said.

"Sanjana and the snoggers, come on we are going. The prince has woken up." I called.

"King, more like." Shiv said, being his cocky self and I rolled my eyes at him.

.

"Wait, what did you mean by snoggers?" Shiv asked as we walked towards the roof. He was too busy being sleeping beauty that he missed the gay make-out session.

"Ask your best friend. But keep your distance though." I said, joking. 

We reached the roof but didn't notice any of the decorations. We were too busy in the conversation.

"What? I don't understand." He said and then turned to Ashwin. "What is she talking about?"

"Um...she kind of walked in when..." He didn't finish the sentence so I had to.

"When they were eating each other's faces off." I said.

"What!?" He was obviously shocked. His best friend since childhood didn't tell him he was gay. "When did that happen?" He asked. "Well I kind of figured that you were gay but her brother? Dude..." So he wasn't so stupid after all.

"How did you figure that out?" Ashwin asked.

"We used to go out to clubs, I flirted with girls. You tried too but I followed that your eyes went after guys. I was waiting for you to tell me."

"We should click the pictures now. We will have the time to talk when we have dinner." Sanjana said.

So we started posing. Ashwin was on one knee with one of my hand in his. Then he took the box of the ring instead of holding my hand. I smiled in every picture. We clicked some pictures of our hands intertwined, showing the ring. It was a pretty ring. It had a huge diamond in between circled by tiny black diamonds.

After the photo session we didn't speak much and headed towards the cars so we could be at the restaurant at the time we made reservations for. On our way, I sent the pictures to my father and waited for him to call so that I could act all fake happy and tell him that we both need a couple years before getting married.

He called me after about 10 minutes.

"Hello dad." I said when I picked up.

"Naina! We are so happy! You are engaged. This is the happiest day of my life. You look so beautiful in the pictures. We wish we were there to see it." He said in one breath. 

The happiest day of his life? It wasn't when I graduated or when I got my job? He never once said that to me. 

"Thank you dad. I wish you were here too. It was beautiful." I said while rolling my eyes.

"So where is my son in law?" He asked.

"He is in the other car. It was his car so he decided to drive it. We are all going for a celebration dinner. I'll call you when I meet him again." 

"Wait! Don't hang up. Talk to your mother." He said and handed her the phone before I could protest.

"Naina!!" She squealed. I distanced the phone from my ear to prevent myself from going deaf.

"Yes, mother." I said, bored.

"I am so happy! You finally did something to make us happy. I saw the ring it must be very expensive, right? I knew he was the right boy for you." At this point, I wasn't even annoyed at her. I was used to her behaviour.

"Yeah mom thanks. I need to go now. Can I talk to dad?" I said and she handed him the phone.

"Dad, listen. We both have agreed that we need a couple years before we get married. We are engaged so that will do for now, right?" I asked as politely as I could.

"Yes, Sure. Whenever the two of you decide you are ready." He said. 

Was it that easy?

"Are you sure dad?" I asked again.

"Yes, you are engaged and will have to get married at some point. You did this by yourselves so I know you'll get married when you're ready."

"Thank you dad."

"I need to go now. God bless you, my darling." He said before hanging up.

I had a smile on my face when the call ended. We did it.