Chapter 48

"Carly!"

"CARLY!"

My eyes snapped open and I pulled out an earphone to steal a side glance at Kristen.

"What?" I tried, though it came out as 'pahuh'.

"How long have you been on that thing?" she asked, nodding her head in the direction of the cross trainer I was pedalling on. I looked at the clock and then back at her.

"Fifty minutes baby," I cheered. "I'll stop when it gets to an hour."

"You best had," she warmed, jumping off her own. "We've been here way to long today."

I focused my attention back on burning as many calories as possible. The music blocked out any sounds around me and I sighed to myself, letting the thoughts take over again. I had no clue. My brain was just empty of ideas. It was just over a week...a WEEK until Harrys birthday, well, his 18th birthday, and I hadn't thought of anything to buy him. I was the worst girlfriend in the history of time. Opening my eyes to check the stopwatch I turned off the machine after I found it had been on for sixty minutes. I jumped off and made my way to the changing rooms where I got ready and met Kris outside.

"Hey, are you okay?" she asked. "You've been distant all morning."

"I just-" I paused to shake my head before looking at her. "I don't know what to get Harry for his birthday. And he's eighteen! It has to be memorable," I moaned. "I'm a terrible person."

"Maybe you could..." she trailed off, raising her eyebrows and winking at me.

"Are you kidding me?" I sighed. "Seriously!?"

"Hey, I think he'd remember that," she pointed out.

"Oh right Kris, sure thing then. I'll just give him a ticket saying 'To Harry, your eighteenth birthday present is to sleep with me!' That doesn't sound insane at all."

"...it would probably work," she shrugged and I pushed her so she'd get the message.

"Okay!" she laughed. "Hey...why don't you throw him a surprise party?"

I looked up at her and raised my eyebrows.

"That's...not actually a bad idea," I managed as I thought about it. "Wait, it's perfect. I'll hire a club or something and we can ask his family to come down; he hardly ever sees them. And we can ask all his friends!" I cried.

"Oh my god, that means all famous people!" she jumped up and down.

"Is that all that occurred to you?" I smirked.

"No..." she trailed off. "I can get a new dress! One that Niall will like," she grinned and I laughed softly.

"How's that going?" I asked.

"Oh my god, amazing. I can't thank you and Harry enough," she smiled. "But putting me through that movie was torture," she raised her eyebrows.

"Yeah, I'm glad I didn't have to watch it..." I trailed off. Harry and I hadn't quite shared that much information.

"You should be! So, are you going to do it then? Throw him a surprise party?"

"I don't know. Is it weird? Like, what will his fans think? To them I'm just some girl he's been dating a month, and now I'm already throwing him a party? They'll think I'm mad," I sighed.

"You are mad."

"Gee, thanks."

"Sure thing. But really, I don't think it's mad at all. It can show people how serious your relationship is. Plus, it will be a fancy occasion which we haven't done in a long time!" she cried with glee.