Chapter 20: Change of Plans

Draco POV

I arrive back home to see mother waiting for me. I step out and she looks at me with a concerned face.

"Where have you been?" she asks.

"I went to speak to Logan," I say.

"Oh, I was just expecting to see you when I came home," she says relaxing, "What did you and Logan talk about?" she asks.

"I asked him for his blessing to marry Elena," I say looking to the floor.

I look up just enough to see how much that caught her attention. She takes a few steps closer to me hoping to hear more.

"and?" she says slowly.

"and...," I pause, "he said no...".

Mother gasps and takes a step back.

"What do you mean...How could he.. I...I don't understand,"

She struggles to make a sentence and I can see the panic in her eyes.

"Lucius!" she calls, "come here, quickly!"

Father walks out of the kitchen and comes to stand beside mother.

"What is it?" he asks.

"Draco went to speak to Logan... to ask for his blessing...and he said no," she says trying to stay calm.

"What, that simply incomparable..." Father takes a breath, "no matter, I'm sure he's just, thinking it over,"

"What if he's not?" Mother asks, "what are we suppose to tell people?"

"Nothing," father snaps, "Nothing at all. Draco have Elena come meet us," he says.

I nod and head for the stairs. I don't want to be part of whatever furious conversation is about to happen. I go up the stairs and start to head to my room but decide to stop. I turn around and look back at the stairs. Although I didn't want to be right there for father's anger, I was curious. I sit at the top of the stairs and try to listen.

"If this gets out," I hear mother say.

"It won't," says father, "This would disgrace Elenas' family as much as it would ours,".

"I suppose you're right" mother says.

"Of course I'm right, they attended the engagement ball and everyone knows it. It would be ridiculous for them to change their minds now." Father says,

"What will you say to Elena? You must be kind to her." Mother insists.

"Of course," father says.

His tone makes me think he's just saying that to please my mother. I get up and go to my room. I shut the door behind me and pace across the floor. I wonder what Logan said after I left. More importantly I wonder how Elena's feeling after that failure. I lay on my bed and try to think of what to do.

————————————————————
ELENA POV

"You are still very young honey," mom says.

"I know," I say.

"And this entire idea was only brought up because there was a...," she pauses, "well, a situation that's no longer relevant,"

"I know," I say.

"And from what the boys told me, you agreed pretty quickly at the Malfoys home without talking to Logan," she says.

"That's also true...I was just hoping we could get passed all the bad stuff that happened. I guess I am pretty young," I say.

"I think you should talk to Draco. I'm a little worried that this engagement may not have been entirely his idea," mom says.