Chapter Four

Kim Namjoon

    "Captain, we will be descending into the atmosphere of Katar within the next two hours. Please give me your orders."
Sitting back against my seat, I glance at my soldier, Taehyung. His trained and rigid form respectful and ready for any command in his military uniform.
Rubbing my temples, I sigh. My mind still on a certain earthling for some unfathomable reason. His question reverbrates inside my mind.
Are you going to be mating me, too?
    Why does that innocent question continue to plague me. My heart, body, and soul belongs to my perished mate and our lost child. I have to get over this.
     "Brief our young doctor to be ready. Katarians are wild feral creatures. They are most uncivilized. We should be prepared when we capture one."
      He nods. "Captain...if they are so difficult then why wouldn't we find another planet? How will we train a Katarian to take a breeding?"
      I bite the inside of my cheek. It's a valid question. "We haven't many options, Taehyung. I've chosen the three closest planets possibly holding the best species to join with. Earthlings—much like us—have most the same anatomy. Katarians also harbor hybrid qualities. While preferring to remain in their feline states, they can transform into beings much like us."
      "I see. And our last stop? Octavian C? Forgive me but I do not see any similarities between our species. I've heard horrible stories about those reptilians." He frowns, a small sneer on his face.
Nodding in agreement, I sigh. "While it's true that reptilians are cruel and cunning, they are also hybrids. They do, also, have the same anatomy as us. They may even be closer in genetics than the Katarians. Not as much as earthlings, however. Octavians are known for their fierce and vast knowledge as well as psychic abilities. Mixing with our race might help us win this war." I explain.
He nods. "You're right, Captain. I will brief Jungkook." He pauses at the door. "And what shall I do about the human?"
I tap my fingers on the control board.
Are you...going to be mating me, too?
"Leave him. I suppose he's still very upset and emotional. Allow him space to come to terms with his new life."
He bows. "Very well. I will alert you when Katar's atmosphere takes hold of our ship."
"Dismissed."
Once I'm alone, I stand up and pace. The face of my deceased plaguing me. Of his dying breath while pleading for me to save our world in my arms.
     "Hoseok, love. I will never forget you or my vow. Even in death I belong to you. Wait for me." I whisper, staring out at the vast space before me.
      My mate always hated the thought of space travel. Hated my government work. Hated that I never had enough time for him and our coming child. I regret many things. Perhaps if I had been there in time...I could have saved them or maybe gone along with them.
     I snap to attention as the door whizzes open and the curious human pokes his head in. I straighten immediately.
      His face reddens at the sight of me. "Do you need assistance with anything?" I ask, trying to regain control of my spiraling emotions. To return to being a stoic captain.
      "No, I j-just got lost." He admits.
     "Where did you want to go?"
     "Um, I'm not sure. I think I'm looking for...Jungkook?" He frowns.
     "The medic? Is there a problem?" My eyes trail over his body in concern. I need him in peak condition when returning.
      He looks away. "It's nothing...I think. I just want to speak with him about something personal."
     "You may speak with me. Our medic is busy at the moment."
     "If you aren't a doctor then it isn't any of your business." He mumbles.
My brow furrows at his sudden and unprovoked aggressive tone. Humans are very temperamental.
I should keep this in mind. "I apologize if you believe I overstepped my boundaries. I was just asking in case you are having an emergency. Jungkook is in a meeting at the moment and will be back shortly. Are you well until then?" I remain calm and cool. Giving him the air of perfect tranquility.
He scoffs, glaring at me. "When will he be back?"
I glance at the clock. "Perhaps thirty minutes or less?"
I watch as he slumps against the wall, looking pale. His mood shifting once more. Strange unfathomable creature. "I'll wait."
I hesitate to respond, licking my dry lips. "Are you sure I cannot assist you? Are you in pain? Injured anywhere? I may not be a medic but as the captain I have to know basic medical administration. I can help you." I urge.
He gulps, looking ill and sliding down onto the floor. I approach, kneeling down and placing my hand to his cheek. His skin is hot to the touch. His eyes flicker up at me before falling closed and his body goes limp.
Inhaling sharply, I lift him into my arms and carry him briskly towards the medical ward. Jungkook and Taehyung are in the middle of conversation as I place the human down on the bed.
Jungkook's eyes are wide. "What happened?"
"He became pale and hot. Although he refused to speak with me he looked as if he were in pain."
Frowning, he jumps into action, checking all of Seokjin's vitals and examining his abdomen and throat. Inside his mouth and eyes and ears. He presses his head down on the human's stomach and chest, seeming to listen intently.
I'm tense the entire time.
He straightens, removing his stethoscope. "I believe he could be having a negative reaction to the medications I administered. His body is trying to adjust and change for breeding. His system is fighting against it. This should pass. He needs a lot of rest, though."
I nod, a frown still pinched on my face. I stare at the fragile pale beautiful human with concern. He's nothing like my Hoseok except maybe his feisty temper. My mate was just as emotional although I pegged that all on his pregnancy. At the beginning he was very calm.
Maybe that is why I can't get the human out of my mind. He reminds me of what I've lost.
"...captain?"
I snap my head up. "What?"
"Oh. I was asking if you are ready to descend down into Katar? Their atmosphere now as a gravitational hold on us. It's safe to enter."
Swallowing hard, I nod and force myself to leave the medical room. "Yes. Jungkook—stay up here on the ready and Taehyung—come with me. I'll need your help."