Jordan and Heather: Chapter Twenty

Jordan broke her fortune cookie in one hand and took out the sliver of white paper.

"Beauty incarnate is right before you."

Jordan looked up to see Heather distactedly munching on a fragment of her fortune cookie.
She smiled and scrunched her nose up when she noticed Jordan looking at her.
Jordan blushed lightly.

"These fortunes are a shot in the dark, huh?" she chuckled, trying to break the silence.
"Sometimes," Heather smiled, "I've been shocked at how right they've been before though."

Jordan took a sip of water, silently agreeing.

"Like when?" she asked, keeping the conversation alive.
"Well, once I was on my way to one of my cousin's wedding, and I got one that said, 'there are wedding bells in your immediate future'."
"Wow."

There was a pause.

"Well," Heather said, still crunching the cookie, "what does yours say?"

Jordan hesitated, deciding whether or not to lie.

"It says," she smiled awkwardly, "'Beauty incarnate is right before you'."
"Gosh..." Heather said shyly, "mine says, 'you should try the shrimp next time'..."

They laughed together.

"Well, what do you think?" Heather asked looking down.
"I liked it," she said after a pause, "how were your vegitables?"
"They were good," Heather replied, "but that wasn't what I meant."
"What did you mean?" Jordan asked.

Just then, the waitress, Kass, came back with Heather's debit card.

"I meant," Heather said putting her card away, and taking out a ten and a five dollar bill, "do you believe your fortune is right?"

Jordan smiled at her, as she set the fifteen dollars on the edge of the table, as a tip.

"Yes."
"Ding, ding, ding," Heather said smiling, causing her nose to scrunch up, "well, I think you look cute too."

Jordan hated to be called cute.
But usually it was a man saying it, and it was meant as a derogatory compliment.
She could get used to Heather saying it though.

They walked outside and stood near the doorway.

Heather started texting someone.

"Whatcha doin'?" Jordan asked.
"Just texting my ride," she replied with a smile.
"No need," she said quickly, "I'll take you home."
"Really?" Heather asked, "you don't need to feel obligated..."
"Please," Jordan argued, "you paid, let me have this."
"Alright," Heather said smiling and scrunching her nose.

'How else would I be able to kiss you goodnight?' Jordan thought to herself.

Jordan walked toward her Jeep Renegade, which had been her mom's.

"Uhm..." Heather said, looking at how high up off the ground it was, "can you help me?"

Jordan chuckled.

She put her hands around Heather's waist and held them there gently.

"Jump," she told her.

When Heather jumped, Jordan also lifted her, so she jumped right into the seat.

"Thank you..." Heather said quietly.

Jordan then went around and climbed into the driver's seat.

They drove around for a while, neither wanting to end this special night.

"You know," Heather admitted, "I'm not a lesbian.

Jordan looked at her.

"I don't even think I was bisexual when I asked you out..." she continued.
"Then..?" Jordan began, confused.
"I thought about it more and more, and I figured out that I wasn't not into girls," she said shyly, "and after tonight, I think I could get used to this..."