Chapter One: The Boy Without a Fairy

Sorry for the sort of boring intro. Zelda games always start off a bit slow and small, but it will get better, I promise!

~~~

Imagine - a land so bright and joyous, that wherever the Sun touches, life always seems to grow. A field so vast and lively that anyone could survive if you were ever lost. The grass so green and the sky so blue, that it's almost a tragedy when white, fluffy clouds litter the sea of blue above.

Paths of rich dirt and soil form naturally where the people and animals walk the most. Small hills and little bunches of forest lines scatter throughout the main field. A field so big, it could take days just to get to the other side. Hyrule Field.

Lined along the edges of Hyrule Field sit villages. The two main ones, Hyrule Castle Town and Kakariko Village, are where most of the people live. The two towns are very close together, as it only takes minutes to get from one to the other.

Everyone lives in peace as the King makes sure it stays that way. The two villages reign in the Northern part of Hyrule. Over in the far East, a hidden forest lies. No one can enter the forest, for it is guarded by a very ancient protector. Only the Kokiri, a race of forest dwellers, can see the wonders of the life there.

That is, until one fateful day nine years ago.

Sleeping in his soft bed, a ten year old Kokiri boy named Link is haunted by yet another nightmare. See, every Kokiri has a partner to protect them, so they never feel threatened or alone. They each have a guardian fairy. However, Link is the only Kokiri who does not have a fairy.

A drawbridge lowers slowly at first, but then completely slams to the ground after a couple seconds. Link stands in Hyrule Field, a small blue fairy hovering above his head. It starts thunderstorming, and the drops of water roll down Link's green hat. On the other side of the drawbridge, a white horse gallops. A figure in black sits in the back, protecting a small girl who sits in front of the black figure.

The small girl blinks away tears and Link catches her gaze. She has bright blue eyes just like him, but she has lighter blonde hair than he does. She wears a pink and white dress with the same color headpiece. The horse runs past Link and just like that, they are gone.

Another horse steps up behind Link. He turns around and sees a dark horse with a red mane. The rider wears a black cape, his yellow piercing eyes seem to stare into Link's soul. His tan skin tones the muscles on his arms more, and his hair shines a darker red than his horse's.

"Arg! I lost her!" The man stops his horse and turns toward Link. "You there, little kid, you must have seen a white horse pass through here. Which way did they go?"

Link says nothing, knowing in his heart that he must protect the small girl he saw. The man is having none of that. "Answer me!"

Link feels something heavy land on his shoulders, and he unstraps the sword and shield to hold them out protectively in front of him. "You won't hurt her!"

"Heheheh. You think you can protect them from me? You got guts kid, you're very funny." The man charges up what seems to be dark magic in his hand. "I like your attitude."

The man blasts his dark magic at Link, but he never feels the pain. Instead, he hears a high pitched scream next to him. It sounded like a girl.

In the deepest part of Kokiri Forest a very old and tall tree rests. The protector of the forest is his title, the one who keeps life safe. The Great Deku Tree, the tree that sits where most of the light shines into the forest.