Chapter 10

With just a sliver of sight I open my eyes to look. Blindingly painful to greet, the white light pierces my eyes like the sun reflecting off a snow covered field. It parades through me like a sharpened blade, and I quickly close my eyes. In its absence i am left only with the deepening crimson of my blood filled lids.

Where am I?

Sickness spread from the base of my skull radiating across my forehead.

I must be injured, maybe ill, what happened? I can't remember anything.

I inhale deeply, but my lungs are already filled. They burn in agony as I let out a shallow breath.

I can't breathe!

Panic arises in the back of my throat in the form of a scream yet there is no sound.

"HELP" ! I mouth. But no one can hear me. There is no sound, there is nothing.

I'm dying, maybe I'm already dead. Is this what death feels like?

I will my body to move but nothing happens.

Stop panicking, you're being ridiculous, you're not dead!

I strain once more to open my eyes. This time I am successful. Still there is nothing except white. I try to sit up but my body refuses my commands. There's a noise, somewhere in the distance, or maybe right next to me. My senses are failing. There is no scent to this achromatic space. Besides pain I feel nothing. No cool air upon my skin nor heat to warm it. My mouth is dry and tasteless. I am nowhere.

Something is here. In this white space with me. I think I see something in the corner of my eye. Through the white light there is a darkness. My heart beats rapidly in my ears as the darkness approaches.

It's coming for me. I use every bit of energy I can muster to move or scream and yet nothing happens. My body fails yet again. It's here, the darkness is by my side.

" Oh good you're awake, Welcome to the Oasis Magda, we're so happy to have you".

" You gave us quite a fright there. I wasn't sure you were going to wake. You hit your head pretty hard when you fainted. Can you do me a favor and try and sit up a bit?"

I try my best to move but I'm weak and shaky. The women next to me is wearing a white Healer's coat. My head is swimming and I can still barely move. My eyes have adjusted now to the piercing white light, enough now for me to realize that I'm in the Healing Center. The Healer calls for someone out in the hallway.

"Alright Love we are going to help you sit up and then I'm going to ask you a few questions ok?"

I nod my head ever so slightly. Just that small movement makes it seem as though my brain is tumbling around inside my skull. Bouncing and bashing against the harsh strength of my skull bone.

They carefully slide their arms around my back and lift ever so lightly, me up into a sitting position. My head feels like it's filled with stone or cement rather than a soft squishy organ.

" Alright then, I'm going to ask you some simple questions, starting with , What's your name love?"

"Magdalena Beckwith." I croak out. My voice sounds almost foreign to me. As though my ears have not heard it in years.

"Very good! Now can you tell me how old you are?"

These questions go on for some time, and it seems as though she's pleased with my answers.

"It looks like everything is all good here. Your test results came back negative. So I'm going to have Healer Jones here give you a little shot. The shot will help with the pain for the next few days. After he gives you the shot, you can take a shower, and get dressed. There is a set of clothes on the chair there in the bathroom. Once you're all cleaned up someone will take you downstairs to meet your liaison and you can get settled in! Do you have any questions?"