Chapter 8 (b)

The room is nothing like I imagined it would be. It is nearly empty. The only thing is a long rectangular touch table in the center of the room, with a chair. The walls are black and made from a type of tile I've never seen. I run my hands over the cold smooth surface, the black pixelates under my fingers, splattering fragmented colors. I realize it's not tile after all and instead is some kind of screen. The whole room is covered in these tile like screens. They must have something to do with the testing that will occur.

To my left is a door and to my right is a door. Both of them are closed and I wonder if I can open them. I jiggle the handle of the door on my left, to my surprise it opens with ease. Inside is a small bathroom, nothing special, just a sink and toilet. I walk the short distance to the other side of the room. I jiggle the handle to the other door, and once more it opens with ease. Inside this room is a small kitchenette. There is a food dispenser on one end and a small table for eating.

Hmm.. I was wondering whether or not I would eat here too. I guess that answer that question.

I shut the door and walk to the table in the middle of the room. A small message is displayed in the center of the table.

"Please activate table by scanning your wrist in the lower left hand corner."

I wave my wrist over the left hand corner and the table comes to life.

"Welcome Magdalena Beckwith. Testing begins in 10 minutes."

The table goes black except for a digital timer set in the center, counting slowly back from 10 minutes.

I turn around to look at the door I came through. The door is no longer visible. Almost as if it has disappeared. There is no handle on the inside. No means of escape. Though there is no door, next to where I entered is a switch. It simply says "Out" or "In". I flick the switch to "out" and the wall changes. I now am able to see the hall wall I just came from. I look down the hall. No one is there. It's as empty as when I left it.

"Don't worry, only you can see out, no one can see in."

I whip around to find a women standing on the other side of the room. The scare has left me breathless, and I can hear my heart in my ears. It beats rapidly and almost to the beat of a tune.

"I am sorry to startle you that was not my intention. Please allow me to introduce myself. I'm Kathy, your Testing Instructor for the day." She places her hand out and I stumble toward her, my legs still shaking from the fright I had had just moments ago.

"Nice to meet you!" My voice still airey as I will my nerves to calm down.

"Please have a seat. We have just a few minutes to go over everything before testing starts."

She motion for me to sit and I take my place in the chair at the table.

"I see you have already made yourself at home. As you can see there is a bathroom and kitchen to be used whenever you need. The test is in 8 parts, between each part there will be a 15 minute break. If you find that you need a break before that you may ask the test to pause. Your PIA will be in Test Mode until your final part is completed. All grades will be announced at the Evaluation Celebration tonight, unless your grade is a failing grade. If you complete the test and your grade falls below a 500 you will be escorted by armed enforcers to a transport, and placed in RING 4. If you fail you will have another chance at the test next year. Failure to pass the genetics portion of The Test results in an automatic failure, and the Tester will be prohibited from taking The Test in the future. Any questions?"

I sat shocked by that very last bit. I didn't realize that if you failed to Genetic Portion of The Test that you would be disqualified permanently. That was never discussed in any class or study group I took. I mean it makes sense. If your genes are defective then no amount of testing will change that. I felt hopeless at the moment. No amount of studying could help me pass that portion of the test. I had to hope against all odds that my genes were perfect or at the very least that nothing was wrong with them.