Chapter 20 (Ep 6) - Don't Deny It

Maddie walked away from Alec, having nothing left to say to him and worried that if she did say another word, she'd completely break down and that was the last thing she needed right now.

She dried her eyes as she walked up to where Izzy was standing with Magnus and Jace.

"Are you okay?" Izzy asked quietly, concerned for the shadowhunter who was drying her eyes.

"Just peachy," Maddie spoke, clearing her throat and trying to sound as if nothing had happened.

"Okay, let's get this show on the road," Magnus said as he snapped his fingers and created a portal for everyone to step through that would take them to his apartment.

When they got there, they saw Clary kneeling beside Luke, doing her best to comfort him and Simon in the room next to them, stirring the potion.

"Maddie, thank the Angel," Clary breathed, standing up to hug Maddie, who wasn't expecting it, but hugged back, nonetheless.

"Surprised you're happy to see me alive, you know, since I haven't been the nicest to you," she told Clary, releasing her from the hug.

"I'd probably hate me, too, if I were in your shoes," she chuckled.

"Hate's a strong word, I wouldn't use it for you. Call it a strong dislike," Maddie smiled.

Before anything else could be said, Luke started screaming in pain again and Magnus started with his magic. "When you add the final ingredient, you need to feed the potion to Luke," he told Clary.

Maddie quickly took out her phone and went into the other room when she saw she had a text from an unknown number.

From : Unknown
Hope you're doing okay, thank your friends again for helping me.

~Stefan

Instead of texting back, she immediately changed the number to his name and pressed call.

After a few rings, he picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Stefan, it's Maddie. I just wanted to say thank you so much for keeping me sane in there. Well, as sane as I could be in a place like that."

"Of course. Maddie, I'm so sorry you even had to go through that. I can't even put into words how bad I feel."

"Don't stress about it. You're not your brother. It wasn't your fault."

"I sometimes question how we're even related. But his humanity switch is off right now, he's not himself."

"I get it. I sometimes get a bit jealous of that little switch, but then I realise how much danger it can cause and I thank the Angel I don't have a choice."

Luke's screams were heard from the room he was in. "Maddie!" Jace called.

"Everything alright? Think I just heard screams."

"Nothing you need to worry about. However, I am needed. Hey, where did you go? I never got to say thank you in person."

"I went back to deal with Damon. Don't worry, he's chained up. Shouldn't he hurting anyone anytime soon. As for saying thank you, I'll drop by the institute later. You're a good person, Maddie. I'm grateful I can call you a friend."

"Back at you, Stefan. I just need to figure out a nickname for you. Stef sounds nice."

"Is this a usual thing you do when befriending people?"

"Oh, yes. Look, I've got to go, duty calls. I'll talk to you later."

She ended the call and ran back into the main room as quick as possible where Magnus seemed as if he were about to pass out.