Chapter 14 - Is That All You Got?

'I'm here. I love you. I don't care if you need to stay up crying all night long, I will stay with you. There's nothing you can ever do to lose my love.'
_____________________________________
A/N: Very brief mention of self harm, not the main storyline, but just incase you're sensitive, it's only in one or two sentences.

"You can't let him feed from you! He'll drain you dry!" Stefan's trying to convince me not to let Damon drink my blood.

"I'm failing to see the part that makes me want to change my mind," I say.

"You're one of the best Shadowhunters there is! If we lose you, that's one less to protect the mundanes."

"No, you still have everyone back at the institute. Not having me isn't gonna be much of a loss," I tell him.

He looks up at me, "you're hurting." I meet his eyes but say nothing.

"I'm fine," I tell him after a minute but realise that was the stupidest thing I could have said because that's now known as a cry for help.

"You're definitely not 'fine'. I can tell," he says.

"Okay, maybe I'm not. I just don't want to talk about it. Let's maybe talk about a way to get out of here before my legs aren't connected to my body anymore?" I ask.

"And how do you suggest we do that?" he questions.

"Yes, Maddie, how do you suggest you do that?" Damon repeats, walking back in the room.

"Working on it," I tell him, trying to figure out any way in which I can get the hell out of here.

"Hmm," he walks up to me and grabs my head, smashing it against the back of the chair.

"Damon!" is all I hear before I black out.

Alec's POV

I wake up and check the time. 10AM. I'm surprised since I'm normally more of a morning person and wake up earlier. I stand up, pull on a t-shirt and leave my room to go see who's up.

"Alec, hey. Sleep well?" Jace asks when he sees me.

"Yeah, maybe a little too well. I haven't woken up this late for at least a year," I answer, "I must have been really worn down last night."

He inhales sharply through his teeth in pain and I look at him, "Jace, you okay?"

He looks down at his wrists and turns his arms around to see the backs of them as well, "something's cutting into my wrists, but there's nothing showing on them."

"What?" I ask in confusion. But all of a sudden it hits me. "Maddie."

We look at each other and it doesn't take us two seconds to be running through the heart of the institute and towards her room. Is she hurting herself? Is it because of me? Did I make her do this? The thoughts running through my head fill me with guilt but they're pushed to the back of my mind when we realise she isn't in her room.

I grab a sweater that's on her bed and attempt to track her but nothing shows up. "Her tracking rune's been deactivated. Let's check the whole institute then we'll figure out what to do," I say, worry clear in my voice. Jace nods, unable to voice any words since he's just as worried as I am.