04; In Charge

2014 Washington D.C.
"You're in charge now, Kath. You have to be."

AS KATHERINE AND STEVE WALKED HAND-IN-HAND up the stairs of their building that led to their apartment after their visit with Peggy, Katherine heard a voice. When they rounded the corner, she saw Sharon Carter, who she knew was Peggy Carter's grand-niece. She's known her for her entire life, since Peggy is her best friend. And Sharon always told Katherine that she wanted to be the best S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent, just like her. Katherine allowed for Sharon to enter The Academy at 16, even though the usual age is 18, but Katherine never regretted the decision.

Sharon proved to be one of the best Agents since Katherine in her prime. Katherine has a deep respect for Sharon and just like she vowed to Howard, she vowed to Peggy that she would always look out for Sharon and make sure she's okay.

"My aunt, she's kind of an insomniac." Sharon said to them when they got back to their apartment. She had been on the phone but she just hung up. She was assigned by Fury to keep an eye on both of them which Katherine appreciated, even though she knew that she was more than capable of taking care of herself and Steve, she appreciated Sharon as an extra set of eyes because she trusts her.

"Hey, if you want. . if you want, you're welcome to use our machine." Steve said to her, gesturing to the basket of laundry she was holding in her hands.

"Yeah, it might be cheaper than the one in the basement." Katherine said.

"Oh yeah, what's it cost?" Sharon asked.

"Priceless, of course." Katherine responded with a smile which Sharon returned.

"Thank you both, but I already have a load in downstairs, and you really don't want my scrubs in your machine. I just finished a rotation in the infectious disease ward, so. ." She trailed off.

"Ah. Well. I'll keep my distance." Steve said.

"Have a good night, guys. Oh, and I think you left your stereo on." Sharon said as she walked away and over to the stairs to go back to the laundry room. Katherine turned to the front door, ready to unlock it, but Steve laid a hand down on hers.

"I'm going to use the window, got a weapon on you?" Steve asked her. Katherine nodded her head and gestured to her boot where she always keeps a pocket knife, even if she doesn't have her guns or her baton on her. She always has something that she can use to defend herself.

Katherine reached into her boot and pulled out her knife, and Steve went around to the window to get inside. The two met in the hallway where Steve kept his shield, and he picked it up while handing Katherine one of her guns that she kept in the kitchen. She put her knife away and instead held her gun as they rounded the corner.

Only to see Fury sitting in their living room.

Katherine rolled her eyes while letting out a breath, before tucking her gun in her shirt behind her back, while Steve put his shield at rest. "I don't remember giving you a key." Steve said to Fury.

"You really think I'd need one?" Fury asked, sitting up from the chair he was sitting in, then Katherine noticed the phone in his hand as he continued speaking. "My wife kicked me out." He said. Katherine immediately knew something was wrong.

Fury isn't married.

"I didn't know you were married." Steve said.

"A lot of things you don't know about me." Fury said. Katherine took a cautious step into the living room, noticing that Fury was banged up. Something happened, and something was coming, but he wasn't going to be able to warn them what it was.