Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Hayden arrived to pick Lucy up at one as planned. After opening, the door and inviting him in he handed her a dozen white roses that were wrapped in black paper with red hearts on them. A blush appeared when had handed them to her, She had never received flowers from anyone before.

“Thank you they're beautiful,” She said as she reluctantly hands them over to Abby so they can be put in a vase.

After saying good-bye to their friends, they left for their first date.

“So where are we going?” Lucy asks after they had been driving for about thirty minutes. They were headed out of town, and as far as Lucy knew there wasn’t really anything but the woods out this way.

Smiling over at her Hayden replies, “It’s a surprise”

“Can I at least have clue?” She asks bouncing in here seat unable to hold in her excitement.

Hayden laughs at her “Your cute when you're excited”

“Whatever, stop trying to change the subject”

“I can’t help that when I look at you I get distracted”

Lucy turns her head to look at the window trying to hide the blush on her face.

Eventually Hayden pulls the car off the main road and onto a dirt road that was surrounded by trees. After driving for about ten minutes they reach the end of the road. Turning off the ignition, he jumps out of the car and runs around to Lucy door opening it for her to get out. He then opens the back door and retrieves a massive wicker basket. Grabbing hold of Lucy hand he starts walking her towards a small dirt pathway that leads to a shady patch of soft luscious green grass and the most beautiful waterfall she had ever seen.

“Oh wow its beautiful here, how did you find this place?”

Hayden had already begun laying out a large checked blanket for them to sit on while Lucy was admiring the spectacular view.

“I like to explore in the woods, one day while I was walking around I stumbled across this place” He shrugged as if it was nothing.

They both sat down on the blanket and Hayden started pulling different size containers out of the basket, while Lucy laid back and watched the waterfall.

Once Hayden had everything set up he looked over to Lucy, a warm smile spread across his face as he watched her lay there relaxed and looking at peace. Wanting to know more about her he blurts out “What’s you favourite colour?”

Lucy looks over at him raising her eyebrow “Purple. Yours?”

“Hmm I would have to say green. What do you want to be when you finish school?”

“I’m not sure yet. It’s a tossup between school teacher and a veterinarian. What about you what do you want to do after school?”

“I want to be a doctor.”

“Hayden?”

“Yeah?”

“Why didn’t Jack believe me when I said it was Max that attacked me?”

“He told you why. He thought Max was home injured”

Lucy rolls on her side resting her elbow on the ground and using her hand to support her head. She looks at Hayden and frowns.

“Yeah he did say that. But I don’t believe that’s what he really meant. Does he think I was making it up?

“NO! He believes you, he just couldn’t understand how it was possible is all”

“Why does he believe me? It’s not as if he knows me very well. How is he so sure I’m not lying about it all?”

“Look Lucy I don’t know what it is you want me to tell you. Was Jack shocked when you said it was Max? Yes. But not because he didn’t believe you. He was only shocked because he knows that Max was seriously injured and that it would be almost impossible for him to have showed up at school. Not to mention there was no sign that it was him that had been there. But he obviously found a way because if you say it was him, then it was him”

“Were you and Jack the ones who beat the crap of him?”

There was a long silence before he answered “Yes”

“Why?”

“Because of what he tried you do to you and what he was still doing to you. I couldn’t let him get away with it!”

Touched by how much he cared Lucy leaned over and kissed him. The kiss was gentle at first. Soft and loving , eventually Hayden gently laid Lucy on her back and placed himself on top of her as the kiss started to intensify, there building passion towards each other increased. Hayden slowly starts kissing his way down Lucy's neck until he reaches the area where her neck and shoulder join. He starts dragging his teeth gently over the spot. Realizing what he was about to do he abruptly pulls himself off Lucy and stands up. He runs his hands threw his hair and lets out a big breath as he begins to pace.

“I’m sorry,” he blurts out

Looking up at Hayden She frowns. Is he so repulsive he can’t stand to kiss her for long? She thought to herself.

“It’s OK. I understand,” She whispered

Hayden stops his pacing and looks at her. Shock showing on his faces “You do?”

“Yeah. I mean it’s OK I understand” The look of relief crosses Hayden’s Face. Gee, I must really be disgusting for him to be so relieved that I understand why he doesn’t want to kiss me. She thought bitterly to herself.

“If you can just take me home. I promise you won’t have to deal with me again,” She says as she stands wiping herself down so she wouldn’t get bits of grass all over his car.

“What, Why? Please you have to give me a chance to explain!” He begs worried he was about to lose her

Lucy shrugs “What’s to explain. I sicken you to point you can’t stand to kiss me. I think that’s pretty self-explanatory”

“You what?” Hayden asked shocked “You think I don’t want to kiss you?” He lets out a loud hearty laugh “God Lucy that’s not it at all, the opposite in fact. I can’t get enough of you. I’m afraid I will lose control of myself and try to push things to far too fast. After what happened to you with Max that’s the last thing I want to do to you.”

“OH.” Lucy said a blush appearing on her face.

Hayden walks over to her and kneels down in front of her taking her hands in his. “I’m sorry I made you feel like I didn’t want you. You are an amazingly strong beautiful girl there is nothing about you that I don’t like” He leans down and places a soft kiss on her lips and pulls away.

“This date is not going very well is it?” He asks

Lucy laughs, “Its defiantly an experience”

“I will make it up to you, I promise our next date will be exceptional”

They spend the rest of the day lounging in the shade talking and laughing watching the waterfall. As the sun started to set, they made their way back to Hayden’s car and headed for Lucy's home.