Chapter Six

Chapter Six

The irritating sound of her alarm clock woke Lucy from her reckless sleep. She was awake most of the night worrying about what will happen today at school and more importantly, what Max will do. Crawling out of her bed, she makes her way to the bathroom for a quick shower. Throwing on a pair of loose fitting jeans a baggy t-shirt, a hoody, and a pair of her oldest sneakers; then she starts putting her make up on. Putting an extra layer of foundation in an attempt to cover all the bruises on her face and neck. Once she's satisfied that they're all covered up she looks herself over in her bedroom mirror wanting to cry.

Usually every year she would put so much effort into looking good for her first day back at school. But with Max out to get her she thought she would dress this way hoping it would disgust him and he'd leave her alone. This idea came to her around three this morning. Feeling good about the new idea, she was finally able to drift off to sleep.

Grabbing a Banana from the kitchen, she reluctantly makes her way out front to wait for her friends to arrive. Noticing her hands were shaking from the fear of what might happen today. She try's thinking happy thoughts and she shakes them a couple times in hopes it will make them stop.

The sound of music blaring brought Lucy out of her daze. Looking up she see's her friends pulling up in Abby’s hatchback, Jogging down to the road and jumping in the car she is greeted by three pairs of large round eyes staring at her.

“Lucy what the hell are you wearing” Cassy asks her shock clear in her voice

Feeling embarrassed about her clothing Lucy looks down at her hands in her lap and mumbles.

“I thought if I dressed like this Max might leave me alone”

“That’s actually not a bad idea Luc.” Abby says smiling at her

“Yeah well I guess we'll see just how good it works when we get to school” Lucy says her voice sounding more confident then she actually was.

The girls pull up into the parking lot with ten minutes to go til the first bell.

“I think someone should try and stay with you at all times today Lucy,” Abby says with concern in her voice.

“You have English with me first up so we will walk to our locker together and head to class. Linda has second period with you so I will walk you to meet with her after English. None of us are in your third period art class so Linda you will have to walk her to art. Then we will all come and grab you from there and head to the cafeteria. We can work out the details for the rest of the day then.”

“WOW Abby did you spend all night working that out? How did you even know what classes we all have?” Linda asks shock clearly shown on her face.

“I looked at all your schedules when I was over your houses.” She shrugs then grabs Lucy hand tugging her toward the entrance of the school. Lucy quickly grabs the back of her hoody and pulls it up over her head hoping it helps disguise her from Max.

The bell signalling the end of second period snaps Lucy out of her daydream. Feeling a little bit more relaxed now that she has yet to run into Max, thanks to her friends playing bodyguard. Picking up her books from her desk she walks over to the door where Linda was waiting to walk her to art. The girls exit the classroom and enter the sea of people walking the halls.

“So how are you feeling Lucy?”

“A lot better now than what I was feeling this morning. Kind of wish the day would hurry and end though”

Reaching her art class door Lucy thanks Linda and heads in to find a seat. Which was not so difficult because she was the first one to arrive.

The sound of the classroom door slamming causes Lucy to jump. She spins around to inspect what it was, only to find herself face to face with a smirking Max.