Chapter One

• Dedicated to Tyler Flanagan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter edited by LidaciaMillegar

Chapter One

The sound of my prey running at full speed ahead of me as it leaks the scent of fear everywhere encourages me to run faster. The excitement of the hunt almost became too much for me... almost.

Dodging another tree and running through the stiff branches slapping me in the face does nothing to discourage me from my swift-paced hunt. I sniff the air and smell a lot of moisture, it will start to rain soon. The only sounds around me are the sounds of me crashing through the bushes and of my paws slapping the ground, the wildlife is silent as they attempt to hide in fear of me.

I am broken out of my thought by the sounds of my prey falling over in its haste. I goad my feet harder to catch up to it. I look up into the sky and see the moon is full, and I howl to my fellow wolves, letting them know I am close to catching my prey. Maneuvering around a few more trees, I reach a clearing and spot the creature up ahead. Almost there- not too far away now, I spring into the air, coming down on my prey.

It screeches in fright as I wrap my mouth around its neck, harshly clamping down. Warmth of its blood fills my mouth as my teeth break its furry flesh. My prey thrashes itself around, struggling in a fight it cannot win. Slowly the flailing stops as my prey dies, and it gives off one last kick and then lays still. Its death has finally come.

I howl again to my pack and start to feast on my kill, reaping my reward for a good chase. Finishing off and moving aside so others in my pack can eat what is left of the kill, I slowly walk back into the crisp woods. I peer back over my shoulder at my pack, nodding my head at my Beta and then descending into darkness.

I love being a werewolf. My last thought before I start running again is, Life cannot get any better than this. I howl one last time and head in the direction of what I call home.

. . .

“Max! Hey, wait up! I was wondering if I could talk to you for a moment?” a slight girl by the name of Lucy asks, trying her best to act confident. On the inside, she was shaking in her cute new boots with the thought of what she was about to do. How she'd found the courage to do so was no less than amazing. She tucks a clump of brown hair behind her ear, inhaling a deep breath.

“Ah, OK sure?” Max replies reluctantly, mouth grim. He stops walking and waits for Lucy to reach him, hands shoved in pockets.

When she finally catches up, he turns and studies her. “What do you want?” He asks, sounding a little annoyed at having to pause.

Taking a deep breath, Lucy says, "Max I just wanted to tell you that I really like you. I have... for a while now. I know you probably have girls saying that to you all the time. I mean, why wouldn’t they you’re smart, good looking, and funny?” Lucy started rambling on, confused and unsure throughout her delivery. “Well anyway, I was wondering if maybe you wanted to... I mean maybe you would want to go out some time?”

She looked up into his sparkling brown eyes, which were narrowed in what she hoped was consideration. God, they were the most perfect eyes she has ever seen. She could get lost in them and never want to be found.

Realizing she was staring, Lucy looks away. She glimpsed nervously at all the people gathering around the food court of her favourite mall, surrounding the two. She peers back at Max, waiting patiently for his response. Holding her breath, she eagerly anticipated for his reply. She cannot believe she'd finally done it.