Chapter Forty-Seven: Judgement Of The Crown

Anger was an acid that could do more harm to the vessel in which it was stored than to anything on which it was poured

Anger was an acid that could do more harm to the vessel in which it was stored than to anything on which it was poured. Camille had to remind herself of that almost every day now. She was furious, and hurt, and full of a burning hatred that melted her to the core...but she would not allow herself to be consumed by that rage. She would not be cowardly enough to lose herself. Not like Arthur had.

He had returned from his hunt exactly two hours and twenty six minutes ago but he hadn't said a single word since his return. Arthur had simply stormed in, his bloodthirsty gaze briefly piercing into Camille's defeated eyes, and then he retreated into his quarters. Orm had entered the palace not long afterward, a look of pride residing on his face as he did so.

"Captain Mera. Gather the people of Atlantis around the temple of Theseus." Orm ordered in a clear, indefatigable tone. "The execution of Black Manta will take place this afternoon."

Though Camille's blood ran cold at this proclamation, she also found a small flicker of relief in his words. The Black Manta was still alive, and so, there was still hope for Arthur to come to his senses. Mera flashed her a concerned glance, but quickly obeyed Orm's command and ordered her guards to inform every soul within the city walls. She was about to join them before Orm called out once more.

"We're also going to need a Grina'lr."

Camille wanted to swallow the bad taste this request left in her mouth, but she couldn't will her body to do it. The Grina'lr was an orb of pure Atlantean sorcery. It created a sustainable environment for whomever was inside of it; anything from Humans to Aliens...though these two things were interchangeable to most Merfolk. This barrier may have sounded like a useful tool for positive discussion between different peoples, in theory, but in reality it existed for something far more sinister.

The Grina'lr was reserved only for executions. Specifically those for people that couldn't survive underwater. It allowed them to face their deaths with 'honour', and more importantly, it ensured that the executioner could see the criminal's eyes. This was an integral part of Atlantean culture. If you had the strength of mind to kill someone, then you must also have the courage to watch them die without anything to obscure the experience. It was more of a viewing window than anything else.

Camille shivered at the thought. She harboured an impossible amount of abhorrence for Black Manta...but she didn't want to watch him die. As her grandmother used to remind her when she was young; if she spent her time hoping that someone would suffer for what they had done to her, then she'd be allowing them to hurt her a second time. She couldn't let that man break her heart again, and so she didn't. Camille wanted justice for her son, but not more death.

Mera swiftly left the palace to make the arrangements, and an immensely uncomfortable silence fell over the throne room. The only two souls present were Camille and Orm, and neither one had any interest in engaging a conversation with the other. Camille knew that Orm was overly pleased with the outcome of Manta's actions being the death penalty, and that he gave no mind to how this may effect Arthur later, so there was nothing to be said anyway. He was a person she'd never understand, and no amount of discussions would remedy that. She was certain that he felt the same way because it wasn't long before he bowed and prepared to take his leave.