twenty three;

my flight was delayed by hours which meant i got home late

my flight was delayed by hours which meant i got home late. lucky me she was on the couch waiting for me to walk in. i closed the door softly and laid my jacket out on the entrance table before sneaking up and snaking my arms across her chest.

"you scared me boy!" i laughed when she hit my hand. "how was the flight?"

"it was nice. i'm so sorry i went to visit america without you. i should have brought you with me. it's just you've been acting weird lately. i'm surprised you even spoke to me."

her eyes left mine and went back to the television. "...yeah."

"at first i thought you were homesick in which i have no problem with you jumping up and leaving too. i'll be right here waiting. but now i know it's that you're scared."

she quickly looked at me with wide eyes.

"my career shouldn't worry you because i'm doing this for us now. it's always been for us." i rested my hand on her shirt that was a size too big and it's been that way for a while now. how could i have not known.

"you were on the phone?"

"i was in the room. i went all the way to america to ask your dad what was wrong since you wouldn't tell me. how could you not tell me this?"

she looked away in shame. "i didn't think a baby would make you happy. you've been all over about your job and a baby would only slow you-"

"a baby would make me the happiest man on earth. especially if it's our baby. that'll only make me work harder to ensure he or she gets it all. i love you and i don't ever want you to think you could do anything to upset me."

she fell into my arms for a hug in which i gripped her tightly. "i love you too."