Chapter 28 It's complicated

Start from the beginning

As if sensing my thoughts, Mr. Adnrewson continued, “Don’t worry about earlier qualification, Class F, G, H do not require an external exam, they are done at school and assessed by teachers. Judging from your current results I would say you are more than capable to handle the test. Many students start doing this by year 9 to get an experience.”

I nodded, absorbing the information. Mr. Andrewson started handing us a sheet of paper each. I muttered a thanks and scanned the content. It outline the date, dangers of the test with some basic information of what to expect, underneath is a slot for you to sign.

The danger factor in this test isn’t very high; the Legres, although dangerous, is not lethal, it would be a lot like stimulation, except everything would be real. There had been few casualties and no death in the history of the test. The exercise last for the day, and take place at a controlled Ruin with carefully selected Legres scattered throughout the Ruin.

You are required to sign at the bottom to signify that you acknowledge all the risks in the test and that any injuries the participates suffered as a result cannot be held liable to the POE Association.

Oh, so there is a POE Association. Thanks for telling me people.

I read through the sheet of paper again, whilst Tom and Oscar had already signed theirs and returned it swiftly to Mr. Andrewson. I couldn’t help but feel a little uneasy about this; my last encounter with a Legre did not bode well, and I just had a nasty feeling about this.

Feeling Mr. Andrewson’s eyes watching me curiously, I looked up and gave him a forced smile before signing the paper and giving it back to him.

“You don’t have to take part this year if you don’t want to.” Mr. Andrewson said, “You can always take it next year. Although I am sure that you are more than capable of handling this.”

I nodded, feeling slightly more reassure. I scolded myself in my mind, it’s silly to worry over a test that had been taking place every year for god knows how long. The people organizing it must be expert at this by now!

We spend the tutorial going over the most dangerous Class E Legres. Most of them I came across on Legre Classification class, so it was nothing new. We were going to do another stimulation next week, before the actual test which would be in a month’s time, with the third week’s tutorial be used as a outdoor survival class that would be mandatory for all the participates in the test.

“Miss Beckett, can I talk to you for a moment?” Mr. Andrewson said when the bell rang signaling the end of the lessons. Both Tom and Oscar shoved their books into their bags and disappeared and I sat back down.

“What’s up?” I asked, after two months of private lessons I was much more comfortable around the headmaster; he was almost like an uncle, if not a much older brother.

“Are you worried about the test?” He asked, I hesitated before nodding at him. He looked at me, concerned.

“It’s a very safe test,” He said, “No one had ever suffer any fatal injuries; I took the test when I was in year 11 and passed. It was more like a wilderness survival camp. Besides, your power had developed so much more now that you will be able to pass with flying colours.”