13| Worried About You

Trigger warning: childhood abuse, cancer and homophobia so read at your own risk 🌹

Joe's P.O.V

"What's wrong with you?"

No

"Where did I go wrong?"

No

"Freak"

No

"I'm ashamed to call you my son"

No

No

No

I couldn't open my eyes.

It felt like I was prying them open but I was still stuck in this hell hole.

I felt a narrow toed boot hit my stomach and I fell to the ground.

I almost threw up.

Once I was down they kept kicking me and kicking me until I couldn't move and there was blood pouring out of my nose.

I laid on the floor and sobbed.

"Joe?"

I heard my name coming from somewhere.

"Joe, are you alright?"

The talking soon started getting closer.

I finally woke up.

I bolted upwards and curled into a fetal position with my knees up to my chest.

"Joe, are you okay?" I looked to see who was talking to me.

It was Ben, thank god.

I stayed silent and my eyes started welling up with tears.

It wasn't long until I started absolutely bawling.

Ben pulled me closer to him and held me tightly.

I felt like a fool for crying, especially in front of Ben but I couldn't hold it in anymore.

"I-I was doing so good" I choked out between sobs

"What do you mean?" Ben asked with concern.

I didn't want to tell him what happened, I felt it was too soon and he'd probably think I was a freak or messed up if I told him so I stayed quiet while I sobbed into his chest.

"You're okay, I'm here" Ben kept repeating himself while holding me and petting my hair.

Slowly, I started calming down and tried to get my breathing to go back to a normal pace.

Once I finished crying I moved away from Ben slightly and wiped my eyes.

I looked at my feet with embarrassment and got really quiet.

"I'm sorry..." I whispered.

"Joe, don't be sorry please just tell me what happened?"

I bit my lip hard while trying to work up the courage to tell him what happened.

"O-okay" I stuttered.

Ben moved closer to me and waited patiently for me to start talking.

"Ever since I was really young I've had horrible nightmares where I can't move or speak or do anything, and it's terrifying" I said, my voice still shaky.

"Can I ask why you've had these nightmares for so long? It's fine if you don't want to tell me."

I scratched my head and thought about it.