05 // what if?

"What if you're not really here?"

        "Man, you're high as a hot air balloon."

"No, I haven't smoked today. But just think, what if I'm imagining you, or you're imagining me, or we're part of someone elses' imagination? Like that guy with the scar across his cheek and jean jacket -- what if he's dreaming us up? Or that baby, what if she's created this world in her head because she's too intelligent for her own brain, and isn't able to speak yet?"

        "That's some heavy stuff."

"Seriously though. What if?"

        "This world's made of what if's. What if discrimination never existed? What if WWII didn't happen because Hitler decided to paint pictures of fruit bowls instead of killing millions? What if we lived underwater? What if the sun exploded? What if you actually said hi to that one person that you liked? What if you had left home today five minutes later than usual? What if I got up on top of this table and started singing a Spice Girls song? What if -- "

"I get it, I get it. Nothing's certain. Everything's changing. Blah... blah... "

        "What if I'm not really here? Would you miss me, or am I just the other mouth of a conversation?"

"What do you mean?"

        "Do you need someone, or do you need me?"

"Shit, you saw that online!"

        "So what if I did? If what you said is true, that maybe I'm not really sitting across from you right now -- would that make a difference? When you regain consciousness, or blink an eye, or whatever the philosophical explanation is, and I'm not here, would that make a difference?"

"I don't know, I'm too high for this man."

        "What if you were really here?"