Chapter 36: The Truth Behind

Start from the beginning

"So here we are. Ask your questions?"

"Where are we?" I ask, looking at my surrounding.

It was a large room where a table was set in the corner, surrounded by a sofa set. The other side of the room consists of- I don't know some kind of game? There were long separate cabins each having a target board at the end attached to the wall which was to be viewed from a large open wall within the cabin. It seemed more like a shooting game.

"I am going to tell you that in a while." I avert my gaze back to him.

"I think you owe me an explanation," I say blatantly.

"Well... Give me a way to start." He scratches the back of his neck.

"What do you mean by that?! You freaked me out yesterday, I couldn't sleep because of you- well, not because of you but the things you said and you are asking me to give you a start! You freaking acted like you own my life and you want a start! You better start talking right now I say!" I shout while eyeing him.

"Sarah... You have to listen carefully okay? And don't say anything until you hear everything, all right?" he pleads.

"All right." I give a slight nod, not convinced at all about what he was going to say.

"I knew at the time when you were hiding in my office searching for files and the reason I didn't show it to you was that I wanted to test you also-"

"How did you know? I was so careful?" I eye him curiously.

"You don't know how much in observation you are and didn't I tell you not to speak in between?" he says, moving towards the sofa set and sits down while I follow him and sit on the opposite sofa. I stare at him in such a way that makes him continue.

"So the thing here is... I also know that you went to the library the same day to research more over things that you had found in my office which was actually the purpose... for you to find more that is. All this time you were under a test, you can say." He huffs out a sigh and continues.

"I was observing you. I knew you'd get down to a decision and I knew you'd get scared but the thing is you passed the test actually." His lips tugging upward from the end. "I was expecting you to back away more than you did. I thought you'd cry out loud and get more frightened but you talked with me in the eye, not a sense of any fear. You didn't go haywire when I told you that you must do it, choice or no choice. You didn't lose it. Your reflexes were strong. You had hope and courage. Deep inside you were scared I can say scared to death because of the time I have come to know you and understood you but from the outside, you fought against that urge." His eyes focused on me. "And most of all... your spirit to do things, to fight and I have witnessed it when you thoughtlessly followed me when you searched my office."

"Ehmm." I clear my throat, as I feel embarrassed by the revelation.

"I know you have many questions like why'd I do that and what not but I'm getting to it." He slides his hand to the table in the center and observes dust on his finger and I just continue to look at him.

"Sarah, here's the deal, I'll give you what you wanted, I'm letting you in that building as an employee and you get to find the guy you were looking for however it's not that easy as it sounds you'd have a proper training about how to work there, what you'd be represented as and who are you going to deal with." He pauses for a while. "The training is going to last for five weeks." He leans back to his chair when he finishes it.

"What's in it for you?" I ask him, arching my head. I'm sure he isn't doing this just for me.

He props an arm on the armchair then looks at his other hand.