Chapter 32: Acting Brave (Flash Back)

I see his brown hairs shining under the winter sun, his back turned towards me, his tall lean structure clad in a khaki woven sweater which ended up to his hip, his hands inside his pockets and his bag on his one shoulder. I wish him to turn and look at me and just like he had heard my thoughts, he turns back and his blue eyes twinkle when they find me. A grin crosses his face and he waves a hand at me. I keep looking at him, more than cherishing the very moment. I smile to myself and wave back at him, he moves his finger, gesturing me to come close to him and I move towards him.

"For how long were you standing there and gawking at me?" He asks me when I come close. He stood there watching me with a mischief look in his eyes.

"I was hoping for you to turn and look at me," I tell the truth.

"Now that your wish is granted shall we go to our place milady?" He asks, bowing a little in front of me. I chuckle while nodding and we walk together, leaving behind the college building and towards our secret place of all time.

As we reach there, we sat at the corner of the pond side by side and he tosses some stones into the pond, making them skim over the surface and I watch him do that.

"Why are you so quiet today? Nothing at college happened? I can't expect that?" He looks at me with concern. "You were quiet along the way too, it's not the Sarah I know of."

"Then how is the Sarah who you know?" I smile and arch an eyebrow at him, curiously.

"Well, the one who is always blabbering around from small to very small things." He teases me and I shake my head with a hideous smile.

"You know Ronald finally made an effort towards Nicole," I say.

"And got slapped yes, I know. That poor guy being all foreign earned him good." He says, shaking his head disapprovingly. "His city like manners won't work here, he should've sent his parents to her house first to show his sincerity towards her. They should've talked about it"

"And how well would it have been? Nicole's parents are very strict about the cultural values if they know about how broad-minded is Ronald's family they would reject him immediately." I argue.

"At least the guy could've tried that way... but too late. I worry if this all goes to the ears of her parents, Nicole could get into a mess, her parents will be more cautious of sending her to the college."

"She would never go against her parents."

"That's good, she respects them." He agrees, nodding his head. "Anyway, why are we talking about them?" I just shrug to his question. "Hey, this Saturday are you free?" He asks, looking at me.

"Yes, what could I possibly be doing?" I say in an obvious tone.

"I was thinking we could go to the festival together."

"The winter festival?" I ask him and he nods. "Just us?" I question and he rolls his eyes to my question.

"Like Maria would let us go alone together. Of course, we're taking that nincompoop with us and that way your father will be happy too," he says, crossing his hands to his chest.

"Oh." All I managed to say.

Well, this happens always. Maria being the wall between us, that is.

But of all time, why now are you thinking about it and behaving like a weirdo? Pokes my subconscious.

Okay okay, I'm not letting Sally's words get through me. I poke her back, aggressively.

"What? You're not okay with this?" He asks me.

"What-Why? No-no. Oh, I'm good like always. Yes. Yes, I'm good. I'm Fine." I say, between gripping my overwhelming thoughts.