Chapter eighteen - Rescue Mission

"Crowded town or silent bed
Pick a place to rest your head and"

~ George Ezra "Hold My Girl"

It had been a couple days since Bella had returned back to Forks, the Cullens following after and currently, Chance was waiting for Edward's scent to leave her room before she sent Jacob a text;

CHANCE:
- they're gone. I'll meet you in the woods in a couple minutes. I don't want to wake Charlie.

Today, Jacob was going to confront Bella and Edward, and he wanted Chance there to stop him if things got too out of hand. They had also been informed by Sam that if they were to do this then they were to remind the Cullen's of the treaty rules.

She stood silently, a few feet away from the clearing the Jacob had led Chance's sister and the bronze haired vampire. Their vision of her was obscured by a large tree trunk that stood tall directly behind Jacob.

"You're still alive." Jacob concluded, glancing over Bella with the cold stare that she had been receiving from Chance any moment she was in the Wolf's line of sight.

"I've been calling you.." Bella protested, "you can't deny that you've seen me calling, you're always texting Chance." A scowl lit up on the younger girl's face as she heard Bella drag her into the conversation - unaware of herself listening in.

Chance could practically see Jacob's glare on Edward as he spat out these next words; "couldn't drop by?" He sneered, hearing Chance agree in his head. The lucky things was that Edward couldn't tell who was on Jacob's link or whether or not they were there, so he kept a wary eye on the trees surrounding them.

"He thinks I'm keeping you away." Edward explained in a pained but still defiant voice that Chance used to crave to hear when she had the chance, now she'd rather rip his vocal chords out so he never uttered another word for the rest of his immortal life.

Chance could faintly hear a twig snap as Jacob spun to face Edward, "stay the hell out of my head!" He growled out loudly, feeling Chance's anger flood out too. She hated how Edward assumed that he could simply rifle through someone's thoughts whenever appropriate for him.

"Dad grounded me, Jake." Bella huffed, which was true, but sounded fake due to Bella actually calling Charlie 'dad'. "We're trying to get back before he or Chance wakes." Only Jacob saw through the lie about Chance, Bella knew the moment she had followed Edward and Jacob into the Forrest that Chance would be monitoring their conversation, ready to jump in whenever she felt it would be necessary. Bella let out a frustrated sigh when she noticed that Jacob didn't believe a single word she had said.

"Chance went to the Rez. I bumped into her getting over here. She went to check on you but you were gone and she was pissed. So instead of confronting you and starting an argument - one of which you'd make her seem like the bad guy - she decided to go to Sam's. Away from you." Edward stiffened at the thought of his former best friend staying at the Alpha's house.

Catching his look, Jacob snorted, "trust me, Chance can hold her own. She's fine." He growled, mentally thanking Chance's presence as he slunk backwards to lean against the tree she was hiding behind, making it impossible for Edward to clearly read his mind. This happened to be a perk of being a spy shifter, they disguised the scents around them and could also rub off on other pack members to help hide them from the enemy. Hiding in plain sight.

Scared, Bella watched as Edward took a calming step forwards towards Jacob, causing the former to grimace. "Jacob, I know you have something to me, but I'd like to say something first. Alright?" He questioned the obviously angered shifter, silently wishing they had Jacob so they could calm him down. Upon seeing that Jacob was waiting for him to say what he wanted, Edward begun. "Thank you. For keeping Bella alive when I.. didn't.." Edward choked out.