ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 𝟹𝟽

Selina labored all through the night. Her pains were getting closer and closer, she was getting more and more anxious as was I. We were hoping this boy or even girl came soon. There was no doubt how scary this was going to be if they hadn't arrived by morning. We was all still awake, it was now about six in the morning if not a little after. There was no way to sleep when Selina wasn't comfortable. Nathan and Lauren had gone to their place for a bit but were just returning when the midwife was going to check on everything going on with Selina down there. "Nothing yet?" Nate questions when walking in and Selina is quick to give him that rare glare that she could give. Haven't seen it till I kept talking to her that day in Shady Bell about her being sick. Midwife takes a peek and Sel is getting more and more upset because she keeps whispering to me that she's feeling like her body needs to push and I keep telling her to wait.
"Alright Selina, I know you're probably feeling it now, it's gonna be painful, but I can actually see the head crowin' a bit. You're gonna need to start pushin'."
Nathan makes his way around behind us and Lauren looks for a moment before shaking her head because she knew in a few months, she'd be in this same position. "Finally, god." Selina breaths out before she's giving it her all right now. Midwife is quick to watch and keep everything going. My hand is being crushed but there's no words exchanged. She's doing her best before letting it go. "Head is out... Just need a few more seconds of pushin' and you two are parents."
Selina looks up at me before she places her hand on my cheek. "I fuckin' hate you, thought you should know right now. But I love you too." I just chuckle before I nod my head to her. "Just push, love. They're almost here." I mutter as I'm bringing up a cloth to wipe the sweat beading on her forehead. She's tired and I know she is, but she's going for it. She's tougher than that, I just know it.
Everything changes within a split second when the midwife holds up that child. Bloody and now screaming like we ain't ever heard anything before. Selina takes a breath and is finally smiling and I can see the tears collecting within her eyes. "Well, it's a boy. Born at six forty four this mornin'. Here ya'll go. I'll tie off the cord and clean him off, so he can be with you both closer." Doctor wasn't wrong. Couldn't believe we had a son, my head turns to look up at Nathan who gives my shoulder a pat. "Congrats, brother. He's handsome." I shake my head as a laugh passes my lips. Selina is clearly still in a great deal of pain, but it all seems to be numb and melted out since she has her baby here now.
Takes about ten minutes before he's all clean and wrapped up, placed within Selina's arms and we're both just staring at him like he was the most amazing thing we ever did see. "What you guys gonna name him?" The midwife questions, seeing as she's preparing to leave now with her job being done and her being paid off. "Names gonna be Arthur Alexander Sanders. Named after a great man."
"Oh is that after your father, Mr. Sanders?"
"Somethin' like that, miss. Thank you for helpin' us out."
"It was nothin', you two take care now. Congratulations."

We all take turns holding Arthur. He's truly nothing but a damn near splitting image of his mother. He was named after Arthur for a reason, the man who got us here and who got us to the safety that we needed. I don't think we could've ever done anything without him. Nathan looks like a natural with his nephew, bouncing himself up and down slightly as he's cradling the baby close to him. He's proud, I can see it within his features.
Truly, if you had asked me when we was just getting into Dutch's gang if this was what I saw in my future, then I would've told you hell no. We wasn't gonna live passed the age of twenty five and we'd probably be hung before then anyway. I didn't see myself meeting Selina. I didn't see any of it. All I saw was us dead. Now sitting here, watching Nathan interacting with his nephew. Letting him hold his finger and just the bright smile he had. He was so happy, just as happy as Selina and I were. We were letting Selina finally rest within our bed, she was out like a light and I knew I needed to be there soon too. I was tired as hell, staying up all night making sure my wife made it through the labor. She did well, I couldn't stop telling her how proud I was to her. She did so well, carrying that baby, now birthing him. She was a strong woman, so much stronger than the girl I met in that bar in Valentine. She wasn't afraid of nothing no more. She very well could've died sitting there and having him, yet, she gave her all and every ounce of strength she had. I was proud. I truly was.
Now Nathan, well, as I said. Him sitting there and bouncing up and down lightly, smiling, laughing, just having a grand time with our newborn son. Well, that was a sight for anyone to see. It would make anyone happy. I remember waking up in the morning for school and walking with this boy down the road to our all boys school with the fancy uniforms and us just talking about our future wives and kids. How we wanted to be rich and we wanted everything to be perfect. Being teenagers and everything just falling upon us that we would probably never be rich, but things sure as hell could be perfect in some form. Then to the gang, when we both saw sides of one another we never knew existed. This man, he was my brother. Not by blood, but by the choice that someone could stick by me through anything and everything. He could've been selfish. Blamed me for the death of his father trying to defend my family, but he never did. He stood there, sat with me through the couple nights before Dutch showed up and took us for himself. He could've left me in the Saint Denis bank for dead, but he stayed their too. This man, he had seen so much. He did good. He did bad. But what I knew, was that I didn't mess up anything with this man and him being my best friend. I had love for him like my true brother and seeing him with my baby right now, well, it just added to it. I knew he'd teach Arthur some great things in the future. Show him how to bond with a horse so closely like he was with Spookey. Knew he was going to also be a good father to his own son or daughter. Truly he was. He did everything he could at the end of the day, everything for my family. I knew I could trust him with my family if ever needed. A man of true strength.
"Hey, you wanna hold your son again?"
I snap myself out of my trance before I nod and stand to take the boy back within my arms. He had hair on him, my hair color. The black and brown color and he was sound asleep. We figured we'd have to wait on the eye color, they were reflecting more of a blue-green color right now. Thankfully, no brown. He was gonna be handsome as ever. Knew he was. My large finger comes to run over his cheek before I see the flash of a camera. Well, Selina could barely walk but she was doing her best. "Ah, you got me didn't you?"
"I did. Think that one will be a keeper for the future. I'll take over for our son, you need sleep, lover boy."
"Nice to see you back to your old self, Sel."
"Oh I feel horrible, but this little guy--- He was worth it."
She comes up and I place a kiss to her lips before setting the baby within her arms and she just lights up like I would've expected. Arthur was looking upon us today, making sure our child whom was named after him was happy and healthy and he truly was. He was everything we could've wanted and then some. I was so excited for the future, for I knew it was going to hold so many amazing things.

Be happy for this moment. This moment in your life.