ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 𝟻

When the sun began to rise over the distant mountains. I was quick to write down some of my thoughts within my own journal I kept. Arthur had told me how he went about documenting everything that went on within his own and that I should give it a try sometime. Chose to, just because I felt as though it would be nice to look back on in some years whether I'm still in this gang or not.

Horseshoe Overlook, 1899

  Met a girl yesterday, around noon I believe. Name is Selina Hinton. She ain't a bad gal. Kind of interesting. I don't wanna say anything yet, cause I know I just might be wrong. But, I gotta feelin' 'bout this girl. Something my heart ain't felt in a long time. Just met her, I know, not like I know what the future will hold for either of us. She might not be sweet on me like I'm feeling for her. She was pretty quick to leave her ex soon-to-be husband behind. Did it all through the mail too. Kind of harsh if I do say so myself. Therefore, I just don't know how she's gonna feel about me in the future. I hope maybe this will continue on, but she was so quick to want to have some sort of touch-off with me that it does concern me about what her intentions would be with me. Not like I mind, I haven't had the time to please a girl in a while. Who knows really. Dutch hasn't really said much about our next move. Makes me think maybe we will be staying in Horseshoe Overlook for a while. Nice view though, seems more decent than the mountains and the snow up in Ambarino were. I guess I never thought I'd find something good anywhere after I lost my parents to all that shit by Blackwater. Dutch became my father figure now and I'm only 21, still a young man but trying my best I suppose. Selina is 22 and I mean, she's a nice girl, nice age. Just feel bad to taint her like this. She deserves the 'adventure' as she would call it. I know she does. Just sucks I offered to give it to her this way. Valentine isn't a bad place I suppose, I just know better than to get used to where we are in the moment. As for now, I'm gonna hope things stay the way they are and that Selina doesn't have to feel like she's been thrown into something she doesn't want. I'm sure she'll run off sooner or later. Who knows, gonna take Dutch a hell of a lot of time to grow some trust for her, she doesn't exactly look the part to be apart of a gang. Suppose time will tell with everything.
JUst know I owe Arthur a great deal for letting me have her and not him. Sure she'd be more all over him than me had he gone for it on his own. Guess I am lucky after all.

     I close the book up once more before I lean over the fire, cook myself some game meat and tear down my camp before riding back to Valentine to get this girl. Hoping maybe she hasn't chickened out yet on the entire thing. I didn't know what would go through her mind over the last eight hours. Just thinking maybe she wouldn't want to stay and go back to her Ma back in Blackwater like she said she was. Maybe I'd show and the hotel owner would tell me that she had checked out a few minutes past. Guess I was just overthinking at this point.
I rode into town and to my surprise, here she is. Standing right outside the hotel waiting for me. She smiles and gives me a wave, looks like she chose to change and to fit the part. She has a new set of clothes on, guns, she has money, I can tell. Just didn't need Dutch knowing that or else he'd go for her family and that just wouldn't be right. She looks more outlaw-ish than I was thinking she would, considering how she did look the night before. More or less, she's looking more like Sadie now. Kind of attractive but I really needed to let that go till I got to know her just a tiny bit better than I did last night. Did almost have her expose herself to me though, think that was close enough.

"Ms. Hinton! You clean up real nice, lookin' like one of us already." I joke as I come to help her up upon the back of my horse, given the size of Luka, I figured she would need help getting onto my shire. "Got any stuff with you?"
"No, Mr. Sanders, chose to leave most of it behind. Thought it would be fitting."
"Well, you sure do look nice. Think Dutch will be pleased to see you. Know how to fire that revolver though?"
"For the most part, yeah, my father taught me how a little ways back. Probably a little rusty at it but I'll get the hang of it in due time."
"I like the sound of that. Alright, well, let's get ya back to camp so you can meet everyone else."
She nods before I feel her hands snake around me so she can hold onto me while we ride. Knew we'd probably be back within a day to get her a horse of her own. Only if Dutch did see her as someone we could use alongside the other girls that are already within out gang. She'd become more of the male's, though, I could see Dutch as wanting her to be a stand-in, much like how Karen or Tilly are at times.

    Off we go, no words are exchanged, I can tell she must be taking in the scenery around us already. I did hope this was worth it for her and for us. I'm coming up the hidden path before I hear Charles' voice and his form appear through the bushes. "Who goes there?"
"It's me, Asher!"
"Asher, pleased to see you have returned. Who have you brought with you?"
"Uh, this is Sel--- Selina Hinton. She's looking to join us."
"Dutch know?"
"Not yet, 'bout to have her meet him here now."
"Think he'll be happy to have her. Can always use more hands around camp."
"You're right, anyway, Selina, this is Charles. One of our better guns here."
They nod their head to one another before Charles is quick to speak up once more.
"Well, I won't keep you waiting. Dutch is in his tent, nice meeting you, Ms. Hinton."

I move my horse within the camp and hitch it beside Nathan's who is quick to run up with surprise within his eyes. "Damn! She's crazy like all of us too. Wow, so happy you found love, brother. You deserve this."
I clear my throat before I shake my head to him, he knows that wasn't the best thing to say before he walks off once more, seeing as I did have to make sure Dutch would allow her to stay here. Everyone within camp is eying us now. I'm a bit nervous to say the least, Dutch barely knows me, how can I expect him to trust me with bringing an outsider into the camp?
I see him within his tent, reading a book before he looks up at me. Eyebrows narrowing as he spots the woman beside me as well.

"Asher... Nice to see you this mornin'. Who--- Who have you brought to me here?"
"Dutch, I'd like you to meet Selina Hinton. She... She was lookin' to join our gang."
"Selina Hinton huh? Hm..."

Dutch circles around her for a moment, just observing her looks, trying to 'read' her like he claimed he could with most of the people he met. Everyone within the camp is curious about her as well, but obviously they didn't have the right to say anything as Dutch was the leader and that was the end of everything already.

"Ms. Hinton... Do you--- Work for the Pinkertons or have you ever been in any interaction with them?"
Selina looks confused before she shakes her head. "Do you know of a Mr. Milton or a Mr. Ross?" Once again, she shakes her head to that as well. Dutch finally stops before he's in front of us once more.

"Well then, welcome to our humble family Ms. Hinton! I'm sure Mr. Sanders here wouldn't mind you sharing a tent with him by the looks of things. Everyone! Selina is now a part of our gang! Please--- Please, treat her with some respect as she will you!"
Everyone gives a bit of a non-exciting cheer before going back to their business. Well, looks like there was no going back now for Selina. She was officially roped in with us and I wasn't sure if I was regretting it yet or not either.