"I know. I actually believe you'd win, though. You might get a chance to prove it, since it's war, and all."

Eli sighed. "Yeah... war." She glanced at the wall-mounted clock. It was ten minutes till noon.

"Crap," she said hurriedly, "I've gotta go. I'm supposed to leave for the shore at noon, or Valda will skin me."

Tanya leaped off the bed as if it was liquid fire, startling the drake and having him grunt in annoyance as he fully opened his eyes.

"Seriously? Have you ever even rowed a boat before?" she questioned urgently. Eli rolled her eyes.

"When you're trained by Edjer, you learn how to do everything, even the most obscure and unnecessary tasks imaginable. I know how to get a bathhouse spirit to tell my future, although those have been gone since the Great War."

"Well," snorted Tanya, "I don't think any of it is useless. I'm sure everything you learn has a higher purpose, and-"

"Okay, yes," interrupted Eli as she swung the dark green door open, "I get it. Let's just hurry."

The hallway was longer and wider than Eli remembered – it shifted again. Portraits of various mages lined the walls and a red carped covered the floor, making the place seem eerie and prestigious at the same time.

Eli snickered at a painting of a guy with comically large moustache when Tanya gasped and grabbed Eli's shoulder.

"By the Great Sisters! That's Hatari!" she whispered. Eli stared at the painting with confusion written on her face.

"Isn't Hatari that girl who got into the council at eighteen? Why does she have such large moustache?" she asked. Then, she felt Tanya smack her on the shoulder. Slightly annoyed and even more confused, she met her angry glare and then turned around.

"Oh," Eli said as she noticed what Tanya was talking about. At the edge of the hallway, there was a woman leaving a room. Her long red hair fell onto her shoulders carelessly as her bright yellow robes danced around her in perfect harmony. She was dangerous – only nineteen but able to take out a town with a snap of her fingers.

"Oh! She's so cool!" Tanya whispered excitedly, clutching Eli's arm tighter. Eli just grinned to herself, getting an evil genius idea.

"Ah, why don't I introduce you?" she offered. Tanya's face suddenly went completely red.

"N-no! I don't want her to see me-" Tanya was interrupted by Eli already confidently striding towards Hatari.

"Hey, Hatari!" she called out. The woman turned around with the iciest, coldest glare one could ever have. Eli felt a ray of fear pass through her body, paralysing her every limb. But she broke the ice and continued her confident stride.

"What do you want?" she asked, eyes narrowed and body tense. Eli was tense, too. She felt foolish for doing what she was doing, but she wanted her sister to meet her inspiration, and was willing to look like a fool in the process.

"I'm Eli, and this is my sister, Tanya," said Eli, pointing to Tanya, who was shyly approaching, shooting daggers with her eyes at Eli all the while. Eli just sent her a sheepish smile before turning back to Hatari, only to find the mage's gaze was significantly softer when looking at Tanya. Of course. Girls grouped together, they were already like sisters.

"Pleasure to meet you, Tanya," said Hatari, and Eli frowned despite herself. But seeing the honest smile on Tanya's face made it disappear as quickly as it came.

"Oh, well, I've gotta go, see you!" she said quickly and bolted, aware of the talk she'd get from Tanya for leaving her alone in such a situation.