xxii

"zach," jack gasped, making it barely audible for the other to hear. he felt his heart warm up at the sight of the teenager, feeling unable to speak.

"what are you doing here?" asked zach, feeling a little annoyed. "don't you have a flight to pack up for?" jack noticed how the younger male was giving him attitude and he didn't like it. 

"t-that's not important, right now," he replied, swallowing hard. he had no idea what he was going to say. he didn't know how he should bring it up. his mind was fogged up and he couldn't think.

"then what do you want? miles is waiting for me in the kitchen so whatever you want to say make it quick," he spat, avoiding eye contact with him.

"why?" he paused and took a deep breath. "why didn't you tell me?" asked jack, feeling his heart beat faster than ever. 

"tell you what?" zach raised a brow and opened the door to step outside, not fully closing it behind him. 

"about miles." the older male looked up to meet the nineteen year old's eyes. "why didn't you tell me before i left that day? did you not know?" he questioned, his voice becoming shaky.

zach stood there in silence, not knowing what to do or say. jack knew. he found out. his secret that was kept in for so long had finally stopped being a secret. he felt wobbly and focused on his shoes, blushing. he was embarrassed.

"zach, please say something," jack said desperately.

"i did know," he muttered, fiddling with his fingers.

"then why didn't you tell me?"

"you were leaving, jack. we were kids, it's not like you could've done something about it. i was scared." zach's eyes now released the tears they were holding seconds before, and his voice sounded like he was trembling.

"but you could've told me now, and you didn't."

"you were leaving, anyway!"

"if you would've told me i wouldn't be leaving!" jack shot back. it was true. he was no longer planning on leaving zach alone again.

the younger male stayed silent for what seemed like forever to jack. there was always that one thought that if he told him that he was miles' other dad, he would stay. but, still, he didn't say anything. he remained silent, and he began to regret it.

"i'm sorry, okay? i didn't want to tell you because i didn't want miles to get hurt." he sniffled and wiped his eyes. "i didn't want to feel the same way i felt three years ago all over again. i'm sorry."

jack softened up at the sight of zach crying. in a way, he understood where he was coming from. but that was no excuse to not tell him the truth.

"come here," he said, pulling zach into a tight, warm hug. the smaller brunet wrapped his arms around jack's waist and rested his cheek on the older male's chest.

"i love you, jack, please don't leave," zach muttered, tightening his grip. jack smiled.

"i won't."

they stood there, in each other's arms for a few moments before pulling away. zach gave jack a small smile and wiped the tears away from his cheeks.

"i know i already know but i'd like to hear it from you," stated jack, rubbing the back of his neck, a pink color envading his cheeks.

zach exhaled sharply with an even bigger smile. "he's yours, jack." the curly haired brunet smiled as well. "miles is your son."

"i'm a dad." he sighed happily. "miles' dad."

as if on que, the little boy opened the door slowly and peeped his head outside.

"daddy?" he said in a small, scared voice. it wasn't until he saw jack that his face lit up and he was no longer afraid, running towards him. "jack!"

jack knelt down and opened his arms, hugging his son tightly. his son.

"hi, baby," he said, kissing the small child's cheek. "i missed you."

"why are you crying?" miles poked jack's cheek. "are you sad?"

"no, no i'm happy." the curly headed male laughed.

"miles, sweetie," zach knelt down as well, the little kid facing him now. "there's something i need to tell you." he paused and glanced at the ground, licking his lips. "remember how we talked about how you have a papa?"

the little kid nodded, sticking out his tongue.

"jack is your other daddy."

miles stared at him in confusion, tilting his head and raising a brow. "jack is my papa?" he questioned.

"mhm." zach nodded.

the little boy looked at jack for multiple seconds before reacting.

"papa?"

jack smiled widely and nodded.

"papa!" miles hugged him around the neck, tightly, making jack laugh a little and hug him back again.

---

the family of three was inside the herron household, zach making three mugs of hot chocolate while miles drew and jack observed him.

he couldn't get over the fact that he was a dad. he had a son who went by the name of miles, who he loved dearly already. he cared for miles even before he knew he was his son.

"here," zach said, handing jack one of the mugs. he gladly took it and blew on it softly to cool it down.

"thanks."

"what are you going to tell the others?" he asked, giving the smallest mug to miles, who wasn't paying much attention since he was to focused on his drawing.

"um, i'm not sure. i guess jonah could use a vacation," he replied, shrugging. "i'm going to tell them that i have a son, definitely."

zach smiled and took a sip of his hot chocolate. he was glad that jack wasn't leaving. they could finally be the family zach always wanted them to be.

"want to see my drawing?" miles spoke, lifting up the sheet of paper that was once in front of him.

"let's see it, bub," jack answered with a small nod and focused on the little boy.

"ta-da!" he exclaimed, flipping the paper.

he'd drawn green grass and a yellow sun on the corner of the paper. standing on the grass were three stick figures, two of them were big and the third one was small. the little one was in the middle with a huge smile on his face and a red heart above him.

"that's me, daddy and papa," he explained, pointing to the correct figures.

zach smiled in awe and felt his heart warm up.

"that's a good one, i think we should frame it," jack joked, although in some sense he wasn't.

"i agree."

that night, miles went to sleep happier than before. he now had two loving dads and he couldn't ask for more.

zach broke the news to his family, they were all so releived that he'd finally told jack. myta insisted on jack staying the night, so he did.

when the two were ready for bed, zach laid down after turning the lights off. jack joined him momentarily and hugged the younger one by the waist, kissing his temple.

"goodnight, zach," he whispered, laying his head down.

"night." the teen smiled even though his back was faced towards jack.

"i love you."

"i love you, too, jack."

•••

i honestly feel like this is so crappy but likeeee its whatever

i hope you guys like it

where are you from??

USA 🇺🇸 midwest