ix

zach dried the dishes as miles watched tv, both waiting for jack to arrive. they had no idea where they were going, but they were excited. zach had woken up that morning with a smile on his face and, to his surprise, he didn't think negatively about this idea.

not too long after zach sat down, the doorbell rang. he groaned and leaned his head back before getting up to open the door. jack was waiting happily with a smile on his face.

"hello," he greeted, waving at the younger. "are you guys ready? i kinda wanna get there as soon as possible."

"where are we going exactly?" zach asked, leaning against the door.

"it's a surprise. now c'mon, zach. oh, and make sure you guys have coats. it's gonna be pretty windy where we're going," he warned, walking down the steps and towards his car. "i'll be waiting in the car."

"okay, we'll be right there." zach closed the door and looked at miles. "sweetie, go get your coat, jack's here."

the little boy nodded and ran upstairs, followed by zach. when both were ready, they walked out the door and to jack's car.

"i hope you have a car seat, jack," said zach, remembering miles still needed one.

"don't underestimate me." he winked and opened the back door to take out a child car seat. "i borrowed it from a friend. i came prepared."

zach only smiled, admiring the fact that jack had thought about it even before he did. it was nice seeing him care about miles, despite him thinking daniel was the father.

"huh, i guess you were one step ahead of me, then," he joked, placing miles in the car seat. "here, you can play on your ipad on our way there, yeah?" he handed the ipad to his son with a smile.

"okay, daddy," he replied, returning the gesture. the nineteen year old closed the door and got into the passenger seat next to jack.

"how long is this ride gonna be?"

"i'm not sure, but i think it'll be worth it when we get there." he turned the car on and began driving.

---

it had been at least an hour since they left the herron household and apparently they were almost there, according to jack. miles had taken a nap, he didn't really like going on his ipad much.

"are we there yet?" zach asked for the third time in the last 30 minutes. jack laughed and looked at miles through the rear view mirror.

"isn't miles supposed to be asking that?" he joked, stoping at a red light.

"he's asleep, so i'm asking for him. are we there yet?"

"honestly, zach, does it look like we're there yet?" he gestured to the red light and the road.

"well, are we almost there?"

"yeah, i promise that after this light, we'll make a left turn and we'll get there. don't grow so impatient." he smiled and began driving since the light had turned green.

the younger male sighed and looked out the foggy window. the snow had gone away, it'd been warm enough for it to melt. zach was not too happy, he liked the snow. he actually liked winter itself, it was one of his favorite of the four seasons.

"zach." he felt himself being shook by jack. "zach, we're here." the younger looked around and smiled at the sight.

jack had taken them to a forest preserve that no one really knew about. this was their place. him and zach went there so often when they were together. it was where jack had asked him out. a lot of good memories remained in the forest preserve.