vi

it was christmas eve, and the herron family was gathered in their kitchen, making food for tonight's dinner. they had invited daniel and his family to join them, they were all so close, anyway.

everyone was hustling around, trying to get all the things they needed. zach was baking cookies with miles, they had their own little area of the kitchen away from all the chaos. they were the only ones who weren't panicking.

"hey, miles, pass me the sugar," zach instructed, not taking his eyes off of the mixture. the little boy grabbed the measuring cup that already had sugar with two hands and handed it to his dad.

"can i taste the cookies, daddy?" he asked, sticking out his tongue, imagining the sweetness of the chocolate chip cookies they were making.

"it's bad for you, bub," he replied, looking at his son for a moment, who stuck out his bottom lip.

"but daniel did it once," he began, hoping zach would let him at least dip his tiny finger in the cookie dough.

"what? when?"

"when we made brownies," the boy grinned. "you didn't eat any brownies because you went away."

"well, i'm sure they tasted great." he smiled and kissed his son's forehead.

"hey, zach, can you get me a spoon from the drawer there," myta interrupted. the teen nodded and opened the drawer, grabbing a spoon for his mom.

"are torbyn and jack and jonah coming today?" miles asked out of nowhere. zach felt his stomach flip and his cheeks heat up. he hoped his mom didn't hear, he didn't want her to find out that jack was back.

myta loved the avery-stanford family.

"jack?" reese perked up from behind. "jack is here?" she smiled.

"aw, i remember jack." ryan was sitting at a chair, watching his family cook.

"wait, really?" myta looked at zach with a hopeful look on her face. zach, why didn't you tell us? that's wonderful!"

"we should invite them over," suggested zach's dad. "we haven't seen them in a while."

"that's a definite yes! zach, you go and call jack, invite him over, honey!"

"u-uh mom, i think he's busy-"

"it's still worth a try," she tilted her head and smiled. zach sighed and continued to mix.

when him and miles put the cookies in the oven, zach went up to his room to calljack, hoping the curly haired man wouldn't pick up. he didn't want to get close to jack anymore, he was afraid that him and miles would get hurt again.

"hello?" jack answered, making zach mutter curse words under his breath.

"hey, jack," he extended the letter k. "look, um, my mom found out you were in town and wanted me to ask you if you wanted to spend christmas eve with us?" he said in a hurry. "but if you're busy we totally-"

"oh, that sounds great!" he interrupted, smiling even though zach couldn't see. "are jonah and corbyn invited as well?"

the younger male sighed heavily, slouching his shoulders. "wow, it's, it's great that you can come," he replied with fake excitement. "i mean yeah, yeah they can come. no worries."

"wonderful. see you later, then." as soon as jack hung up, zach groaned and plopped on his bed, staring at the ceiling. he closed his eyes for a few minutes, hoping he would fall asleep but was unsuccessful when he heard small footsteps come into his room.

"daddy, come watch tv with me!" miles grinned, getting on zach's bed one knee at a time. the teen smiled and helped him up, sitting him on his lap.

"what are we watching?"

"daniel the tiger," he responded, smiling.

"daniel the tiger? i love daniel tiger's neighborhood!" he exclaimed, picking his son up and spinning him around, making him giggle.

"put me down so we can watch it!" he said in between laughter. zach put him down and followed his running child down to the living room where the tv was already on. the show was barely starting and zach found himself singing along to the theme song with his son, both smiling.

---

it was an hour before guests started to arrive, which made the herrons start to hustle around their house, getting everything ready. zach decided to change miles into a small dress shirt and jeans. he had to admit, he looked super adorable.

the two were sat at the island in their kitchen, decorating the cookies while the others were changing and fixing themselves up. christmas music was playing from a speaker, and zach sang along as he decorated.

"this one is for jack," miles said, putting a snowman cookie on the tray. zach felt his heart speed up as he watched his son grab another cookie.

"for jack? what about me?" he teased, nudging him. miles giggled when his dad kissed his cheek.

"don't worry, daddy, i made you a christmas tree!" he exclaimed, pointing at the decorated cookie. zach smiled and chuckled.

"why does jack get a snowman?"

"because i like snowmans." the little boy stuck out his tongue, concentrating on the one cookie on his plate. zach just looked at him in awe and remained silent.

it seemed like miles liked jack, as a friend. neither suspect a thing. jack thinks miles is daniel's, and zach was glad that he didn't receive any unwanted questions from daniel. he had to tell his family that jack was clueless, he just didn't know when since miles stuck to him most of the time.

they finished with the cookies minutes later and zach sent his son to watch the tv so he can go talk to his family.

"hey guys, i need to talk to you," he yelled going up the stairs so everyone in the rooms -including his younger siblings- came down. moments later they were all in the kitchen once again, huddling over the counter.

"what is it, zach?" josh asked, concerned.

"okay, jack doesn't know miles is his son," he confessed, letting out a breath.

"you didn't tell him?" myta asked, a little disappointed. "zach, jack has the right to know!" she whispered harshly.

"i know, i know." he looked down. "he's gonna leave again, i don't want miles to get hurt."

"that doesn't mean you shouldn't tell him," ryan spoke, suprising his older brother.

he had a point, but zach didn't want to risk it.

"whatever. point is, jack thinks daniel is the father and i'd like to keep it that way."

"this is ridiculous." myta threw her hands in the air and walked away. zach's dad took a deep breath and looked at his son.

"you need to tell him soon, though. it's not fair to him and it's not fair to miles." having said those words, he walked away as well.

"i don't understand," said reese with a confused expression. "we can't tell jack that he is miles' daddy?" she asked for confirmation. both of her older brothers nodded and the conversation ended there.

dedicated to -honeyfeels

i'm feeling inspired rn guys so maybe the next part will be up later today?