xviii

zach was lying in bed, not wanting to get up or do anything. today he was supposed to go to the pools with his friends and miles, but he didn't feel like it. the only reason he'd be going is because of miles.

the little boy has been at home for a few days and no longer had to wear that hospital mask. it made zach happy to see him back to normal.

he groaned loudly and shoved his face into a pillow. his groan was so loud, he didn't even hear his door open.  his mom came in shortly with a laugh.

"zach, we're gonna go downtown, wanna come?" she asked, sitting beside him and placing a hand on his arm.

"miles and i are hanging out with jack and his friends at the pool today," he replied.

"is that why miles is so excited and keeps talking about swimming?" she asked with a smile. zach returned the gesture just thinking about his son.

"yup. by the way, where's the summer clothes?" he asked, sitting up and stretching.

"in the basement, the swimming trunks are in a blue bin," she informed before getting up from his bed and walking towards the door. "at what time are you planning to come home?"

"honestly, mom, i don't know." the boy shrugged. "probably until miles gets bored or something."

"well, call me if you need anything. we're gonna go." she nodded and walked out.

zach sighed and laid back down, hearing his family say goodbye to miles before closing the door. although he didn't want to, he got up and peeped through the hallway to see if miles was visible from there. unfortunately for zach, he wasn't so he had to go downstairs to keep an eye on his son.

miles was sat on the floor with crayons and a piece of paper in front of him, watching tv. the little boy was too concentrated on whatever he was drawing to notice his dad come down until he could no longer hear the tv.

he looked up and scrunched his eyebrows together, looking at his dad. "daddy, don't turn it off," he whined.

"we have to get ready, bud," zach replied, picking up the piece of paper the petit child had in front of him seconds ago. "who are these people?" he asked.

"that's me," he pointed to the smaller stick person in the middle, "that's you," he pointed to the bigger figure to the left side of the paper and finally to the one on the right. "and that's jack."

zach felt his heart rate speed up when he said that the other person on that paper was jack. why him? why not daniel or even corbyn or jonah?

"jack?"

"yeah, i wanted to draw his curly hair," he explained, snatching the paper from zach's hands. "i need to draw torbyn and jonah still," he finished, grabbing a black crayon.

"let's do that later." zach picked his son up from the floor, earning a whimper.

"but, daddy, i want to finish!"

"you can finish it when we come home, miles," he said sternly, taking the crayon away. "let's go get you ready for the pools, okay?"

the small being's face lit up as soon as he heard 'pools', bouncing up and down.

"okay!" he exclaimed, watching his surroundings as zach went up the stairs and into his room.

after zach changed miles into decent clothes and got ready himself, they returned downstairs to eat breakfast. this time, the nineteen year old only gave his son milk and cookies since he was feeling too lazy to make actual breakfast.