Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

"Why?" Hehewuti asked Nixkamich.

He told her, "Because we are stronger."

"SILENCE!" Hehewuti turned to the Climbers. "Yes it is true, we have been overthrown by The Runners. But that is not my priority at this moment. Two generations after us, there will be one young woman who will have the power to help us rise once more. We need to provide helpfor her before we seem suspicious. She will face many hardships when fighting for us, leaving her friends, her family and befriending the enemy. The other, The Runner, Sam Pritcher, will fall for her and make things complicated for her. In two generations, we will be here in spirit and we will need to think about this poor girl who has been selected to Protect for the Climbers and bring the Circle back."

"Hehewuti." Nixkamich said her name with power and a sense of triumph. "It is time for you to gather your people and head out. Safe travels."

"Of course and thank you," she said solemnly. Hehewuti and the Climbers gathered their things and headed out West. Not knowing where there were going, or where they would end up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was on my way home from school. I got this weird feeling and felt dizzy...I heard faint voices. "You are a true Climber. We leave our fate in your hands." And then...I was fine. Although, I was a little shaken up and I ran home. I got a glass of water and I asked my mother was a "climber" was. She said, "Emilie, what are you talking about? What is a climber?"

I shook my head and told her nevermind. I went upstairs to lay down on my bed...I told myself I had had a long day and that I was probably hearing things.

That night, I had a dream. I was in a forest, running hard and fast. I was fighting somebody in order to Protect my people. My people? I don't have people! I was fighting some kid...he looked about my age and I became scared. I see these figures surrounding me and I panic. I try to run away but there is something protecting me from leaving. I hear this voice..."My dear granddaughter, Emilie, Leader of the Climbers! It is up to you know." And I woke up.

What is going on...I'm scared. Help me, please.