─ chapter thirteen

"So what exactly do you want me to do?" Elyse questioned as she and Grey headed towards the archery field

"Talk to Maddie, make her make up with Jay." Grey shrugged simply.

"You're just winging it aren't you?" She asked.

"Maybe." He muttered as they approached the field where Maddie was aggressively firing arrows. Maddie didn't hear or notice them. She just continued to fire arrows at the target, which was pretty much full now.

"I can't do this..." Elyse began, turning around.

"Maddie!" Grey called out before the blonde could leave. Maddie stopped and stayed still for a moment. She didn't turn around, and just placed another arrow in her bow.

"What do you want, dickhead?" She asked. It could be heard from her tone of voice that she had been crying.

"Grey stop..," Elyse started, but was ignored.

"I've got your best friend here." Grey called. Maddie froze just as the arrow released from her bow, shooting right into the target.

"Go away." She replied.

"See, she doesn't want to see me." Elyse murmured.

"Elyse..." Grey said in a warning tone. "You told Kenzie."

"Why?" Elyse sighed.

"Go away." Maddie repeated in a harsher tone.

"Maddie." Elyse called out reluctantly. Maddie paused for a second and then finally turned around.

"What do you want?" She asked with a sigh.

"Have you been crying?" Elyse asked in shock.

"Why does it matter if I have?" Maddie muttered, looking down at the floor.

"You haven't cried in a while." Elyse said, surprisingly softly.

"You wouldn't know." Maddie said, wiping her eyes.

"You told him." Elyse said, crossing her arms. Maddie let out a sigh, knowing exactly what she was talking about.

"It slipped out, Elyse. If you had given me a chance to talk, maybe you'd have understood." The redhead said bluntly. "It was no excuse for what he said to you which is why I ended it. I know that's why you're here and now you have your answers." She said, turning away.

"It slipped?" Elyse asked, stepping closer to the redhead. "How does 'my best friend is lesbian and she had a crush on me' slip out to your boyfriend and make him believe that I still like you? Maddie, he used that against me. He played with my fears. Do you understand why I left? Why I would feel a bit betrayed that you would tell him that?" She questioned.

"I don't know, Elyse." Maddie turned away, not wanting Elyse to see the tears in her eyes. "Don't you think I regretted telling him once I did? What else was I supposed to say when he was asking me why you were so annoyed about the hickies." She shook her head slightly. "I broke up with him because of what he said to you. I knew it was wrong. I lost the two people most important to me because I can't keep my stupid mouth shut for once. So I'd appreciate if you left me alone now. I feel fucking bad enough." Maddie said solemnly.